Chapter 20: Don't You Dare

*ELI'S POV*

I went around the first floor, then the second, and out front but still couldn't find even one of the three. I send them each a text asking where they were. Then texted a follow up sorry for disappearing myself. I went back inside and headed for the kitchen to get some water. It was probably around 2am now and there were a few weak ones passed out already. I grab a water bottle from the fridge and down it.

"Thirsty much?" A voice behind me says. I turn around and see it's Brendan.

"Gotta make that liter count," I say tossing the empty bottle in the trash. "I'm surprised you're not wasted yet."

He looks at me seriously, "My parents said I could only come here if I didn't drink."

"And you're actually following what they said? Good for you!" I tap his shoulder. I was sure that he would be annoyed by this but he surprises me by smiling.

"Yeah, it's all thanks to you actually." Brendan moves closer and takes a seat on the counter. "Why'd you defend me?"

"I told you. When I was your age I was much worse. In two years time you'll probably be dancing with the geeks celebrating your first ever A."

"Yeah, I doubt that."

"You'll never knooow~"

"So you and Sam, huh?

"What about us?"

"Oh you know." I look at him blankly. "You've been hanging out a lot lately."

"We're friends."

"Are you sure you're not anything more?" He says wiggling his eyebrows.

I don't know what his deal is. Is he trying to set me up or something and use it against me? "She's a minor. I'm smarter than that."

"Hey, no judgement. We're free to love whoever, right?" He gets off the counter. "You've probably been with more people than I can count. Man! I wish I had the freedom you have. Bet you couldn't wait to leave your family behind. I know I am."

Before I knew it, I had my arm pushing down on his chest and my other hand grabbing his wrist stopping him from escaping. He looked at me terrified but I was too consumed with anger. He had struck a chord when he mentioned my family and me wanting freedom. 

"You don't know anything about me or what I want." The calmness in my voice scares even me. I knew, if I wanted to, I could break this boy's neck. The seconds seemed to pass by slowly as I just stared at him. When suddenly--

"Eli..."

I'm pulled out of my thoughts. I must have loosened my grip because Brendan was already running out the door before I could even feel the regret creeping up on me.

"Eli, are you ok?"

As if remembering all the other times I've been asked that question, I straighten my back, stare at the person coldy, and answer, "I'm fine."

Sam reaches out her hand to me but before she could come any closer I say, "Where are the others? It's time to go." She just nods and leads me to one of the adjacent rooms. Jane and Kate were passed out on the couch. We carried them back to the car, which proved to be difficult since Sam wasn't in the most sober state either. I helped her get on the passenger's seat then I sat in the driver's.

"Are you ok to drive?" Sam asks, looking at me worried.

"I'm fine." I sigh and look at the two in the back. "I don't suppose your parents would appreciate it if you all went home drunk?" I looked at Sam when I didn't get a reply. Her head was leaning on the window, also already asleep.

A/N: Short, I know. I'll probably update again within the week