Chapter 10: Fried Eggs

*SAM'S POV*

I roll around in bed. My mind filled with the image of brown eyes piercing through me. "You should be better than this," a voice whispers in the background. No, no, no! I will NOT let her get through to me. This is who I am and this is who I will be... This is how I'll survive. I jolt awake and text Jane and Kate "It's time."

*ELI'S POV*

It's been a few days since the incident with Mia and I've just been ignoring Sam. Her friend, Kate, is at least friendly and didn't seem fake so I didn't mind talking to her. Which has become an everyday habit since we shared some morning classes and she'd always seat beside me.

"Hi!" She says waving at me and taking her seat but she looked a little bit worried.

"Hey."

"It's a nice day today," she looks out the window nervously.

"Great weather for a date."

"Wha-at?" she asks, her voice panicking a little.

"You ok?" I just ask.

"Yeah! Why wouldn't I be?" Kate nervously laughs and opens her book avoiding eye contact with me.

I didn't give her much attention anymore and just focused on class. I guess her queen has something planned.

***

I drop by my locker before P.E. to leave some books I didn't need to bring home. I couldn't be bothered to do it after class since we'd be out in the field today and it was in the opposite direction from my bike. When I arrived I was surprised to see a frying pan hanging by a nail hammered into it. I stood there for a good full minute, confused. Then it clicked. It's a frying pan. A pan. Could it be? Noooo. That's too corny. No way. I burst out laughing.

I take the pan from the nail and gesture it to a student passing by. "Get it? It's a pan." They looked at me confused. "Coz I'm pansexual!" Then as if they just got the joke, also started laughing.

"Ms. Torres, what is this again?"

"Oh hi, Gerry. Look, it's a pan!" I say still laughing.

"I'm guessing it was nailed to your locker?" The janitor looks at my locker then at me with a grimace.

"Yeah, sorry about that. You know the kid's in this school. I'll never damage school property though." I say holding my right hand up.

"First the spray paint and now this?! You should stop taunting those boys. Even if they deserve it." He says the last part to himself.

"Hey if it becomes trouble just tell me and I'll explain to the principal. I gotta go!" I shout back at Gerry as the late bell rang and I remembered I had to go to class.

*SAM'S POV*

"What do you have in mind?" Kate replies.

"Oooh I know!" Jane texts before I could type back. "My mom just bought two of the same pan, which I don't get why. We only really need one."

"And how do you plan on giving that to her?" I ask. It's not like handing Eli a pan sends the message we want to. "And why a pan??" I add, confused.

"Because she's pansexual, duuuh."

I roll my eyes, "That is so lame."

"Well what's your idea then?"

I actually didn't have any. I was just so caught up with my dream that I had the sudden urge to finally do something and I was hoping the girls had come up with ideas other than the usual pranks.

After a few moments Kate texts, "We could nail it to her locker..."

"Now that I can get by. Prep the things, we'll do it tomorrow."

***

"Here she comes," Kate whispers nervously. We were standing by Jane's locker which was luckily just around the corner to Eli's, so no one could question why we were there. Kate found out that Eli would always stop by before P.E. to fix her things so we decided this was the right time. We'd snuck out in the middle of our previous classes while the hallways were empty to make sure no one would see us hammer it in. Luckily, we did it in one strike or else someone would've definitely heard us.

We watch Eli slowly walk towards her locker. She always walks so slow. Is it because of her legs? But that wouldn't explain how great she is in P.E. She stands in front of her locker, just silently staring. Probably upset about the damage to it. But she didn't fail to surprise when suddenly, she laughed. Just like the incident with the spray paint, she didn't seem fazed by the deed to her locker. She takes the pan from the nail and gestures it towards a student passing by. I watch them laugh together and my blood begins to boil.

"Oh shit! The janitor's here," Jane whispers and quickly drags me and Kate away but not before I hear Eli say, "Oh hi, Gerry. Look, it's a pan!"

***

We were in the middle of stretching when Eli arrived. She said a quick apology to Coach Cobb, dropped her bag and the pan at the stands, then jogged towards us.

"Ladies," she says nodding towards us.

"Hi, Eli," Kate says and I immediately shoot her a glare.

"You shouldn't have been so nervous this morning, Kate. I love the gift," she winks at Kate, and my scowl grows deeper. Since when were they friendly? Right. Kate was going to be clingy.

"I'm not sure what you mean," Kate nervously laughs.

Eli points to her things, "That'll be perfect for frying eggs." Jane tries to hide her laugh with a cough while Kate just continues laughing nervously.

Coach had us run laps around the track and before I knew it Eli and I were having a little race. We'd left the others behind, or rather in front since we've made a full circle and were now on the next lap. The thought of Eli never reacting the way I hope she would keeps popping up in my mind. From the first time we've met, she's managed to say things that no one's ever dared say to me. The way she manages to shrug off Brendan's numerous pranks... When she talked to the grumpy janitor... and to Kate... The way she looked at her... It was like nothing in this world could make her feel bad. Except for me.

I look to my right and just as Eli passes me, I stuck out my foot and trip her. I look back smirking but suddenly stopped. All the anger inside me was suddenly replaced with worry. She was curled up and groaning. I just stared at her while she stayed like that for a while. The others hadn't noticed us yet since we were at the far side of the field. Get up. Come on, get up! Is she really hurt? I run back and kneel beside her.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck. Not again. Not now." I hear her mutter to herself.

I hesitantly put my hand on her shoulder, "Eli... Are you ok?"

She looks up at me and her eyes expressed a mix of sadness... and pain... and fear. But it was gone in an instant and was quickly replaced by a glare. I couldn't help but feel hurt even though she had every right to be mad at me.

"I'm fine," she says, getting up and supporting her right hand. "I just broke my wrist."

I follow her silently a few steps behind as she walked towards Coach Cobb.

"What happened, ladies?" Coach Cobb asks us concerned.

"I tripped," Eli says shortly. I look at her surprised. I was sure that she was going to tell Coach I tripped her but instead she just says, "Can I be excused and go to the clinic?"

"Yes, yes, of course. Ms. Anderson, why don't you go with Ms. Torres."

Eli surprises me again by not objecting and walking towards her bag instead. When we were inside she stops and turns towards me. I'm sure she's going to tell me to fuck off now.

"I don't know where the clinic is," she stares at me blankly.

"Oh-- umm.. F-follow me," I stammer.

A/N: Happy Monday y'all