Chapter 34: Three + One

*SAM'S POV*

I couldn't wait and get to school to talk to Eli. I just had to know what they did when I left. I mean, sure they're friends so they must've done friends stuff but... UGH! I hate feeling jealous! And not getting to see Eli until lunch didn't help at all. I was absolutely distracted in class and even got called to answer a few times so of course I just made a fool of myself. But finally lunch came and I was running up to Eli in the yard.

"Hey!" I attack her with a hug.

"Hey to you too," she hugs me back, making my heart flutter.

"You look tired. Did your friend keep you up all night?" I frown at Eli, noticing the dark circles under her eyes.

"We sort of went on a trip down memory lane." She scratches her hair and smiles feebly.

"Is she staying with you?"

"Yes."

"For how long?"

"Just a few weeks."

"Are you going to be taking a trip down memory lane that whole time?" I ask sarcastically.

Eli smirks at me. "Are you jealous?" She asks in a teasing voice and starts poking at my side.

I blush and say a little too quickly, "No!"

Eli smiles at me wide and says, "You're cute when you're jealous," making me blush furiously again. "But you have nothing to worry about. Tera's just a friend. And no, she wasn't one of my 'friends'," Eli drew air quotes. "She's actually my closest friend aside from you." I looked up at Eli when she said this. She actually considers me a close friend now. I feel my heart begin to flutter again.

"She actually wants to meet you --properly this time. Do you want to hang out after class? We can ask Jane and Kate to join us too." Eli peeks at me tentatively.

"Of course I want to meet my future girlfriend's childhood friend," I say, making Eli smile from ear to ear and I swear I could've melted right there.

***

Eli said she'd meet us at Cafe Co. after class since she had to pick up Tera from her apartment even though I said she could just take a cab. I could just imagine her sitting on my spot holding on to Eli like I do. But here we were, Jane, Kate, and I, waiting for Eli and her childhood friend to arrive.

"Ease up, Sam. You look like you're ready to bite someone's head off," Kate says putting her hand on mine.

"Yeah, jealousy isn't a good look on you," Jane teases.

"As a matter of fact, Eli thinks I'm cute when I'm jealous." I tell them with air.

"Oh does she now?" They both laugh at me. Before I could come up with a comeback, I saw Eli enter the cafe. Our eyes meet and a smile quickly works its way to my face but it slowly becomes stiff as I spot Tera from behind her.

"Hi, guys. This is Tera, my childhood friend," Eli says awkwardly taking a seat beside me.

"Hi! It's nice to meet Eli's new friends," she says cheerily and takes the seat on Eli's other side.

"This is Jane, Kate, and Sam," Eli gives me a small smile when she says my name, which makes my heart flutter.

"Riiiight, you were at Eli's apartment yesterday! Sorry I just barged in like that," Tera looks at me and smiles. Then turns her attention to Jane and Kate. "And you girls must be the collateral friends?"