Chapter 7

Today is Saturday that means no school. I woke up at 6:00 am. On weekends I usually wake up at 6.

I changed my clothes, brushed my teeth, and went downstairs to help set up the plates for breakfast.

There is a total of 20 kids here in the orphanage, all of them under the age of 11 and 4 people who take care of us.

I took out the first stack of plates and balanced them on my arms.

"Olivia wants to speak to you in her office after breakfast," Ms. Rita said while flipping some pancakes on the pan.

"Okay," I said and went to the dining hall to arrange the plates. There are 3 tables, 2 for the children and the other smaller one is for the staff, like the cook.

10 children at each table. I went back to retrieve the last stack of plates. Then went back in to place them.

Olivia, the head here in the orphanage, assuming she's a woman in her late forties because of the wrinkles that as the months pass by becoming more visible. She has black hair, some strands turning grey because of aging.

She usually talks to children in her office when it is something important. The last time I've been there is when a week has passed since my first day of senior year. We talked about my grades again like every other time I've been there. I wonder what else is something so important that she needs to talk to me about it in her office.

After eating breakfast at the kitchen barstool seating area. I went down the hallways toward the front door, Ms. Olivia's office is the first door on the right that you see when you enter the building.

I knocked twice and heard a muffled 'come in'. I opened the door and took a seat on the chair next to her desk.
Every time I sit in this chair, it's another reminder of how a crappy child I am. It makes me question my whole existence. Every time I sat here, it's the same conversations about my grades but that's not all that happens every time Ms. Olivia calls me in here and lets me sit in this very chair. Sometimes there would be other people too besides me and her. People who want another extension to their family. People who are looking for their dream child, but that's not me.
I started to think that this chair is bad luck but it's not, I am the unlucky one.
They always sit right in front of me while I sit in the chair staring, observing ...hoping that someone would want me but one look in their eyes and expressions that hope crumbled. I should've learned by then. Hope is not worth hanging on to when I know exactly what will happen.

I shook out of my trance. It's been 4 years since the last couple interviewed me and thought that I wasn't the kind they were looking for.

I took off my glasses and wiped the blurry lens on my large hoodie then placed it back on my face.

I waited patiently for Ms. Olivia to speak. She was signing some documents, glasses hanging off the bridge of her nose.

She finally looked up and greeted me with a good morning. I just nodded back, a little eager to find out what she wants to speak to me about.

"Claire, you're turning 18 in a few months, you will be a young adult. You've been here in the orphanage all your life minus 5 months " she looked off into space, probably thinking about the day they first found me.

"As I said ... You're turning 18 and you're gonna be responsible for yourself and your doings. Once you reach that age, you are old enough to take care of yourself and you don't want to be living here in the orphanage anymore. You'll be going out into the real world. I don't know what you're plans are once you turn 18 or after you graduate high school. But I just want to say that you should use that freedom of being an adult to live your life. I know you haven't been doing that you know, living your life. Like hanging out with friends, joining prom, or whatever thing that makes you feel like you're living instead of just existing. Living and existing are two different things. Find something that makes you happy. " She smiled genuinely, I almost wanted to smile too but didn't.

Then her smile turned into a sad one.
" I'm sorry that no one adopted you. Believe me, it's not your fault, don't let that or anyone stop you from enjoying your life. Okay?" She smiled again. I just nodded. Digesting all her words.

She cleared her throat and spoke.
" Every orphan that is not adopted and is turning 18 is given a support money. I will give it to you on your birthday"
I nodded again, that's all I've been doing lately.

" Okay, that's all. Think about what I said" she smiled then looked back down at the documents at the table.

I quietly left the room and headed upstairs to my room.

I laid down on my bed and did what she told me at the end of our conversation.
I thought about everything that she said.