Chapter 23

I folded the blanket neatly, the embroidery on the front. I placed it inside the box. 

   I decided to put the blanket that I owned ever since Ms. Olivia, the head of the orphanage found me. The blanket was already on me when they brought me into their care. It's the oldest thing I've ever owned and it holds great value in my life because it might have been a blanket that my parents brought me. 

    It is not good for me to keep holding on to this. Held on to the hope that one day my parents would come back for me. It's too late for that, they're too late. I need to move on with my life, and accept that having parents is not a possibility. I need to set realistic priorities to survive in this unforgiving world. 

    Therefore, I will put this blanket in the time capsule and it will be buried. Burying also my hope and ordeals in my life, and confidently move on with where life takes me. 

    I closed the lid of the box. Seeing the blanket for the very last time in a very long time. 

"Follow me to the back of the school everyone." The teacher said out loud. 

"Come on, let's put it together" Morgan held her box in her hands, it was decorated with colors, and her name was scribbled at the top. It is required to put a name on top and it is also allowed to decorate the box whatever you like. I didn't decorate mine. I only put my name "Claire" at the top. 

   We walked towards the back of the school. A 4 feet tall steel rectangular-shaped capsule stood under a tree. A hole was already dug as well as a sign that had a date of today on it. 

   All the students formed a line, all carrying their boxes with some sort of drawing on them. It was Brian and Tyler's turn, they were in front of us. I did not get to see what's inside theirs because it's none of my business, and I value privacy. Once it was my turn, I placed the box inside the half-filled capsule and went to the side to wait for Morgan to put hers, following the rules of social etiquette. 

We went to sit on the grass, which was instructed by our teacher. There was a small ceremony for the burial of the time capsule. It made it seem like there was a funeral. 

It was a nice day. We were shaded by the tree, our surroundings quiet, and no students loitering about because classes are still ongoing. Morgan talked and I listened. I like hearing her stories and hearing her speak with varying exhibits of emotion shown on her face. The boys were having a conversation of their own, they were behind us. 

"I am 100% sure that in 10 years I'll be a famous model. I'll be beautiful and successful." Rachel told her friends with full confidence. She sat not that far away from us. 

"Are you sure about that Rachel, with that attitude of yours? I don't think so." Morgan whispered. 

"I can't wait to see all your faces when we have a reunion 10 years from now and I'm gonna be a successful model, while most of you will be getting low-class jobs. Especially you Claire, with that brain of yours, I doubt you'll get a job or even pass college." Rachel and her friends laughed. Everyone who was sitting down heard what she said, cause she was standing when she said it. Some of them laughed along with her.

"Stop it, Rachel. It's not funny." Rachel stopped laughing. 

"Here you go again defending her, Brian" she rolled her eyes. 

"It's not nice. That attitude of yours will get you nowhere. And why are you even commenting on Claire's intellect when you too lack intellect." Morgan shot back. Some people laughed at the insult to Rachel. 

Rachel sat back down angrily. She rolled her eyes at me in despise and I stared back at her. 

I was still staring until someone tapped my back. 

"Are you okay?" I looked back towards Tyler. He had a concerned look on his face. I glanced at Brian and he too shared the same look.

"Yes, after years of torment I get accustomed to it. But I do wonder sometimes why she is so hostile towards me, from what I recall, I never wronged her. Or maybe I did, but can't remember."

"How long have you known her?" Brian asked.

"Ever since 1st grade." I replied. 

"You didn't do anything, she's just plain evil. And bullies for fun and display of power." Morgan said. 

The teacher began the ceremony once all the students had finished putting their boxes. She first said an introduction and finally ended the ceremony of the burial. The students dispersed in groups and some alone to proceed to their next period of the day. 

I stayed back for a moment. Buried hope. There is no point in holding onto things that no longer serve a purpose.

With those last thoughts, I left. 

______________________

I knocked on Ms. Olivia's office door 2 times. When I heard a response to come in, I entered the room and greeted her. 

"What brings you here?" Ms. Olivia gave me her full attention. She was working on some papers and stopped when she saw me enter. 

"I want to discuss my plans with you."

"Okay, continue." 

"I plan on leaving the orphanage once I turn 18." I got straight to the point.

"Have you thought this through?"

"Yes, the science fair is a few days before my supposed birth date, so I still get a passing grade and have a high school diploma, as promised by the principal if I get in the top 3 ranks, which I'm positive I will accomplish. I have gone through will the finances. I saved up money to buy a car and a little extra money that will last me 3 weeks. You also said that I will be given support money once I turn eighteen, that will be a good headstart and be of huge help. Unless that offer is no more then it's okay. I'll get a job…Please let me do this." 

"It's a cruel world out there Claire."

"I know" I said truthfully.

"I can't stop you. So I'll say, okay. You are free to leave. And yes, the support money is still there. But if ever you are struggling out there, just come back here."

"Thank you" I said sincerely. She smiled and went around her table to give me a brief hug. 

After that, I left her office.