Chapter 4

I lay down on my bed Monday night. Tired of the day because of detention.

I came back to the orphanage at 5 pm. I didn't get to go to the junkyard outside of town to get some speakers for Garret because it was already late. I had a 6 pm curfew.

It's still 6:30 pm. I already ate dinner. I lay still pondering on the thought of what Rachel said about me not having brains nor beauty.

I stood up and went to my full body-length mirror and took a good look at myself. I had icy blue eyes, beautiful color but hidden behind these glasses. I have a Slim face, not-so-thin lips, okay nose but frizzy, untamed wavy hair. My hair is big, I don't tie it. I'm skinny and tall which for me I think is okay. Rachel thinks I'm ugly but that's her opinion. For me, I'm just fine, not ugly nor too beautiful.
I returned to my bed, at times like this where I don't have anything to do I talk to Garret but he still needs fixing and I don't have the parts yet. So here I am laying on my bed. Trying to think of what to do.
I already installed camera lenses for garret, why don't I make him hands. I really need to go to the junkyard and hardware store tomorrow.
I made garret when I was 9. He was supposed to be a robot that helps me with fixing something. He is programmed to lend me the tool that I need every time I say the tool's name. That's all he could do back then. It took me 5 months to perfect it.
When I was 10 I made garret what he is now. He does everything I say or ask. Like handing me tools, telling me the time, reading all my emails, and others. Garrets practically like a human, I can talk to him and he asks me questions. He also takes videos every time and is connected to every gadget that I have. It took me a year to make him what he is now. I was 11 when I finished Garret.
When I was 5, I had a video recorder that was given to me on Christmas by the people who donate things. It was pretty early to give me that type of thing but they gave it anyway. I liked it and tried recording the ants in my room. One day I decided to record myself. I talked as if I'm talking to someone. Then it became an everyday thing, I record myself every night, it's like writing in a diary but I'm talking. I usually talked about the things that I did on that day. It helps to see that I don't have friends and no one to talk to. As the years go by and many memory cards, instead of talking to a video recorder I now talk to Garret, he automatically records everything every night. Recording became a habit of mine but I don't do it as often as I used to.
All of my gadgets are powered by solar energy, I bought solar panels as soon as I had enough money. Fixing other people's stuff pays you good. I don't like doing or using things that contribute to climate change. That's why I changed my lifestyle.
I am now itching to do something. My hands are fidgeting, I need to do something. I'm not used to not doing anything. I'm always up to something every time. I don't want to think because it leads to Rachel. She's getting on my nerves easily these days.
I looked around my room. And spotted my notebook. It's a notebook where I put all my inventions and others.
I opened it and began sketching, planning, designing my invention for the science fair. I have already been planning on making this last year and now is my opportunity.
After an hour, I closed my notebook and took out another notebook.
I did mention that I like mathematics, a lot. I like challenging myself. I tried answering one of the unsolved Millennium Prize Problems since I was 13, which is the Hodge conjecture. I have an answer but I have yet to prove it. I'm just solving this for fun. And I don't even know if my answer is correct, it's a long process, you need to defend your answer in order for it to be solved.
Anyways, I took out my other notebook which contained the answers to the Hodge conjecture. It's pretty messy, it was a thick book but I filled all the pages, there are papers sticking out of the notebook because as I said, it is already filled. I took out the papers that were sticking out and got to the page where I left off and began
figuring out the part.
It is nearing 10 pm now. I stacked the papers, organizing them then put them in the notebook. I left my desk and went to get a relaxing shower.
After getting changed into comfy pajamas I flopped onto my bed and took out the box that was underneath my mattress.
The box was filled with money, money that I got from fixing cars and other things. I counted it, I still need more money if I want to buy a car for when I turn 18 and get out of this town.

I closed the box and locked it and flipped the other side where there is another compartment and opened the lock.
Inside is a blanket, It is the blanket that was wrapped around me when they found me on the bench when I was a baby. It is the only thing that makes me feel close to my parents. They may have given me up for adoption but what if they didn't want to give me up. There's a little bit in me that hopes that they are still alive and that they loved me. Maybe one day I will try to find them.
I looked at the small blanket, it has this embroidered word at the side, it's small. It says 'Field', I don't know why it's there, I even searched a brand named Field but I didn't find any.

It may have something to do with my parents, or I'm just making too much meaning of it and it's probably just a style. But I think it really has a connection with my parents.

I folded the blanket and put it neatly back in the box. I returned it under the mattress and I drifted off to sleep.