Chapter 24

I woke up at 4 am, did my daily morning routine, and examined the device one last time to make sure all components are functioning correctly. And when it did, I proceeded to check my presentation board. All seems to be alright. 

Today is the Science Fair. 

I expect that today will be terribly eventful. Besides the fact that I will be competing in the school Science fair, I will also have to witness everyone's reaction as they realize that this possibly groundbreaking invention is my creation. Though they perhaps would think that I bought it or let someone else build it for me, but that does not worry me at all, I have all the data indicating that I created it. Plus, I will not stay here too long. I will leave on my supposed birth date, which is 2 days from now. 

I added up all my money for the remainder of the time I have left before I go to school. This is my life savings, money that I saved up from daily allowances ever since first grade and from fixing broken appliances and vehicles. It is enough to buy me a used vehicle and support me for 2 weeks in a city where I decide to stay until I find a job. Petrol will be the most expensive thing I will have to spend on. If things would not go out as planned, I can always cut off my food consumption and eat less than I normally would to save up money. However, if I ever would be struggling financially and can't seem to find any alternative, the option of coming back could be a last resort. But I won't let myself get to that point. 

6:00 am

    I gathered all the stuff I need for the science fair. Which includes, a box to carry the ball, a rope to tie the box and the presentation board to my bike, a stand for the ball so it doesn't roll around or fall on the table where I will present it, tape, tools, and screws, in case of a malfunction. 

    I descended down the stairs to help in the kitchen and then ate breakfast with the other children. 

   Afterward, I took my project downstairs to where my bike is. There was a small seat at the rear of my bike, so that is where I tied the box and board. I was about to bike off when the pedal suddenly stopped working. I took a look at it and saw that the chain was broken. I readjusted it and tried to pedal again but still, it didn't work. I took a closer inspection and saw that the chain needs replacing. Such great timing. 

"Garret, what is the time?"

"7:18 am"

"Why now?" From the outside, I would appear to look calm, but inside frustration grew. I quickly went upstairs to retrieve a chain that I had when I was working on another invention and got the necessary tools needed then ran back to the bike and began fixing it. 

The Science fair will commence after homeroom. I still have to attend Homeroom for the attendance. This means I will not have enough time to set up.

I swiftly hopped on my bike to test if it was working and it did.

"Finally" 

I stopped and checked if my project is still intact, it was still securely tied to my bike. 

"Time?" I asked Garret.

"7:38 am"

I pedaled faster like the day back when some boys in grade school tried to run after me to shoot me with water guns. Rushing into things is not me. But today's an exemption and now I'm late for homeroom. It's fine. I'm not worried about homeroom just the thought of being late.

I hurriedly locked my bike and collected my things. I only have 3 baggages to carry, the box, presentation board, and my backpack that is filled with tools. 

Punctuality holds value to me, yet today, that seems to be thrown off the window. 

I entered the room but stopped at the doorway, everyone was already seated and the teacher was already there. All eyes were on me.