Chapter 25

3rd person's POV

The judges took a closer inspection of the seemingly basic invention but it was far from basic.

"This is incredible Claire." Mr. Dallas exclaimed in approval. The system was ingenious, he thought. He couldn't believe that a high school student could build this, much less Claire. The student who is widely talked about in the school for flunking almost every major subject. Her presentation was phenomenal, she radiates confidence, and executed it like a professional. Despite not showing emotions and having a monotonous voice. She, by far is the best public speaker among all the other contestants.

The previous skepticism of the judges vanished and was replaced with awe and wonder. They were science and technology enthusiasts, so they were so elated and we're able to see great potential in this invention. In all their years of scoping the globe out for possible life-changing innovations and advancements in human knowledge, they have never seen or heard of any invention like this. Though they have seen a fair share of ingenious inventions and this right here is gonna be one of them.

The judges asked Claire questions about the project and she answered them directly without faltering. Once the judges were done, they moved on to another project, knowing full well whose gonna win 1st place.

The next project to be judged was held outside because it was a rocket, Chads rocket.

Brian, Morgan, and Tyler pushed through the crowd to get to Claire. They were astonished by her revelation, this is far more than they had expected. She was standing near her table cleaning up and putting the ball back into the box.

"Claire" Morgan waved her arms above her head. The shock was evident on her face. "That was amazing! You were so, so great!"

"Yeah! The judges were impressed. This-" Tyler gestured to the box.
"Is no match to the rest of the science projects. Really"

"It was worth the wait. You are fantastic." Brian smiled.

"Thank you, all of you." Claire looked at the 3 of her friends. Friends...she thought. I have friends.

"The awarding ceremony will be later after lunch, right?" Morgan asked.

"Yes, let's go get lunch." Claire replied. She, stood back for a moment, reflecting on the day's events. It was indeed eventful...she thought.

Claire's POV

After we ate lunch, we headed back to the gym. The tables were gone and a circular stage was put in the middle of the spacious gym. Organizers were now preparing for the awarding.

We sat at the bleachers, few people were already there. Many of them still stared at me like when we were at the cafeteria. But no one dared to say a word until now. "So, you're smart? But your test scores say otherwise." A girl in front of us spoke. She and her friend were awaiting an answer.

"I don't know." I answered. After that, they didn't bother me anymore.

"Hello, I'm Wally Osborn, the one in the audience who gave you my phone to demonstrate your invention. You were awesome by the way and who knew you could build something like that? I mean, I'm sorry, that sounded offensive. But how long did it take you to build it? And you must have had experience working on electronics and stuff. Because what you did requires lots of planning, skills, and serious dedication. And another question, why do you always get a low score in subjects like science and math yet accomplish that complex project? But I think it's not so shocking cause many known geniuses don't excel in school settings. That's just, wow. Another question, what is your IQ? I've taken a test but I only got a 105, not so genius. " He sat next to me and rambled.

"It took 6 months to complete. Yes, I do have experience in those fields. And it is called creating false impressions or to put it simply, acting. And lastly, I don't know my IQ." I answered truthfully. Wally gawked at me in awe.

"Why?" I looked behind my back at Brian.

"Why were you acting as though you were stupid?" Tyler added. I now realize that the consequences of my actions have come. It is time to stop pretending and show them the rest of me.

But before I could answer, the microphone made a screeching sound. The host spoke into it. "Settle down everyone. The awarding ceremony will start."

The emcee announced the top 10 winners. Starting at the bottom. I was confident that I would land in the top 3 winners. If I don't then all my plans to leave this town will be thrown away. The paper held by the emcee will decide my fate.

"Now the top 3..." The emcee said after awarding the top 7 winners with ribbons.

"You'll win, I just know it!" Morgan said beside me. Tyler patted my back excitedly.

"In 3rd place...Erica Shirley."

"2nd place... Mason Tremblay."

"And in 1st place. Claire..."
I sat there for a moment, processing everything. Tuning out all my surroundings. Then someone shook me and I snapped out of that state. The crowd erupted with applause.

"Claire you won!!" Brian applauded.

"I knew it!" Morgan shouted happily.

"Congratulations!" Tyler greeted enthusiastically.

I descended down the bleachers to where the 2nd and 3rd winners were standing. The emcee guided me to stand in between the other 2 winners. The judges congratulated me one by one.

"You've got a bright future ahead of you kid." The other guest judge said, shaking my hand.

Mr. Dallas gave me a trophy and pictures were taken afterward.

I marveled at this moment. Now that I am here, I feel...proud of myself. Then I made a striking realization, that this is the start of a new chapter in my life. No more pretending.

_________________________

I stood in front of Mr. Gonzales and Ms. Fisher, the 2 guest judges. Who I now know the names of.

"This is a great opportunity. Here's a calling card. Call us or you could come to my office. The address is at the back of the card." Ms. Fisher, a blonde and petite woman, said seriously. She means business.

"As I said, you've got a bright future ahead of you. Think about our offer and if you get to a decision, call us. You have great potential kid." Mr. Gonzales patted my shoulder. They shook my hand one last time and left.

I scanned the card in my hands. They are based in California. 6 hours away from here.

A new plan was formulated in my head. And right there, I felt a sense of purpose. I never knew what to do with my life but I think I know now.