Chapter 20

"I'd like to return the psycho child that my husband adopted." the classy woman said with no ounce of pity in her voice.

"And who are you?"Ms. Olivia asked.

"I am Elizabeth McArthur, my husband adopted a child here at  St. Lucia's a week ago. And I am here to return the child." She said, speaking as if she were the queen and everyone was her peasants.

I heard paper being turned so it must be the documents for adoption.

"Wha...Why?" Ms. Olivia spoke, concerned.

"Did you see that child? She is a psychopath. I read the symptoms of psychotic behavior and she fits all the criteria." The woman said in a horrified whisper but I can still hear it from outside the office.

Her words were beyond the truth. Exaggerating in order for her words to seem much worse than it really is. But she was scared.

I can see fear in her eyes.
Hear the fear in her voice.
Fear of me.

I have been returned countless times by my adoptive parents. But this is the first time they returned me with the reason that I am mentally unstable.

"Psychotic? What has she done that brought you to that conclusion?" Ms. Olivia said in disbelief.

"She doesn't show any emotion. And it is not normal for a 9-year-old child to act so grown up. I have another child her age and she surely doesn't act like her." She pointed back at the door where they thought I was supposedly waiting sitting on the chairs away from earshot.

But here I am, eavesdropping behind closed doors. Watching from a small hole in the door. Listening closely as the two adults talk about me and my strangeness.

"But did she hurt anyone or act strange besides not showing emotion?"

"She didn't hurt anyone yet but that is why I'm bringing her back here before she does."Mrs. McArthur said hysterically.

"She's not gonna hurt you or anyone. Claire is different from other children but she is not what you said she is. She is diagnosed with Alexithymia, so she is unable to express and identify emotions. There is information about that in this document. You didn't even bother to read it. Your husband came here and asked for a nine-year-old child. And Claire is the only 9-year-old child here so we brought her to him to arrange a meeting but he refused and said to just get the adoption order needed to get this over with. And told me that he can provide for necessary needs cause he is rich. He then told me that she is gonna pick her up tomorrow and bring you with him to sign the documents. He hurriedly left and now you come here bringing the child back." Ms. Olivia said angrily.

"Ughhhh. We decided to adopt a child so that our precious daughter will have a playmate and we wanted another perfect little daughter."
Lies...
She doesn't want me to be anywhere near her daughter. They just adopted me so that it would be a good image for them.

" Here are the papers that indicate you returned the child. Sign it and leave."

Sensing that the conversation is over, I went back to the chair I was left at by the lady.