Chapter 18

Two weeks have passed.
The diorama is almost finished.

We didn't get to meet up this week because Brian went out of town for a week for a reason that I didn't know of so we decided to just do some parts on our own and assemble them once Brian's back which was yesterday so we will finish it on Monday.

It is currently 6:43 pm on a Friday.

The previous weeks have been really odd lately, I would say. Ever since that encounter a few weeks ago at the field or plane area, they have been frequently hanging out with me.

They would sit with me on lunch at the tables outside and also during classes that I have with either three of them, particularly Brian. It seems that I did not mind their company at all especially Brian's.

I am not the most outspoken or what others would say a talkative person but they seem to don't mind either seeing as they continuously seek my companion.

Each of them has unique and striking personalities as I observed.

Morgan is outspoken but knew when to stop depending on the situation. She's kind, friendly, enthusiastic, straightforward, and confident despite being under the pressure of her parents and the judgemental society she didn't let that stop her and I admire that about her.

Tyler is very smart and hilarious. He's very loving towards his girlfriend, Brian, and his family, you can see how much he cares for them, I envy that about him though.

And there's Brian, he is still a mystery or I would say still under observation. He is understanding, determined, smart, very observant, and caring. Those are the things I knew about him still. He's awakened something in me that I haven't ever felt before.

I find myself enjoying their carefree nature though and I have to say that I have learned a lot of things from being with them.

Is this what they call friendship? Do I, Claire finally obtain that bond that acquaintances or friends have? I think so, but I have to conduct research first though, to be certain.

But something crossed my mind regarding the reasons why they want to hang out with me, one being they just like me, which is questionable, and the other one is fairly unpleasant, it's either the previous reason or that they simply pity me and just decided to include me in their group.

I don't want to ponder on that idea, so I'd like to ignore those voices in my head telling me that people pity me and they don't really like me.

But I'm beginning to like them and maybe I'll just be thankful for now that I get to learn and experience things from them. Whatever reason they have, it will be okay cause after all of this when I eventually leave this town they won't be seeing me anytime longer.

_____________________________

Next day
Morning

It is the weekends again. I am currently occupied with the science fair project whilst exchanging words with Garret when I heard excited squeals from downstairs.

I ignored the noise and proceed to do my work.

The blabber of children began moving to the back area of the orphanage. I was situated at my desk which was facing the window so I had a clear view of what was happening outside.

The children were surrounding someone. I couldn't see who it was because he was facing the other way, but I know that someone is a male.

I heard a knock on my door. And Alice, a staff here went in.

"Claire, there's some young man who stopped by and bought some toys for the children, I wonder if you want to meet him? He seems like a good guy and I also think it's a great opportunity for you to make more friends cause he looks to be your age." She said.

"I'm fine" I replied. I'm not searching for building any possible friendship with anyone. Though Morgan, Tyler, and Brian seem to grow in me.

"Okay, I think he's gonna be here for a while seeing as the children seem to like him." She chuckled looking at the window where the children were dragging the man around wanting him to play with each of them.

"He looks like a good young fellow to me. He is good with children. The children also seem to adore him even if they only met him which is a good sign... Okay, I'll leave you be." She bid goodbye and closed the door.

I resumed working while also examining the occurrence outside my window. Different kids kept dragging the man in different directions so they could each play with him. He finally gets to turn around and I get to see his face...Brian?

I took a closer look to confirm my suspicion. It really is Brian.

It's a good thing I decline the offer of going downstairs cause he would definitely find out everything in the case that he saw me.

I looked outside and I can't help but observe Brains movements. I can't stare at him for a long period of time at school or with other people but today I allowed myself to look.

To observe as he played with children with so much adoration. Alice was right, he is good with kids. Something blossomed in me at that moment. Now I'm beginning to see him in a new light.

"Oh, Garret what is he doing to me," I speak out of thought to Garret through my watch.

"What are you referring to? And who?"

"Brian"
I still gazed outside as I also work on my project. He got the children to sit on the grass and listen to him talk. The kid's face held with the one of amazement of whatever he was talking about. I cannot quite hear because I'm on the 3rd floor.

Looking at him does something in me that is so foreign.

"He awakened all these strange feelings inside of me and I don't know what to feel about it. I haven't felt like this with any other person, it's just him...seeing him right now I can't help but admire him...he's so kind and surely unlike anyone else. I occasionally get this urge to be close to him however I can't. It is so frustrating and complicated."

"It is normal for humans to experience foreign emotions especially teens."

"Yes, but I'm not like my peers"

"Do you want me to interpret this post from a website about Emotions and Teenagers?"

"That's not necessary."

"Well, then you may share with me your burdens instead. How do you feel?" Garret said with a monotoned British accent of his that was supposedly influenced on me.

I looked at Brian, who had a smile on his face looking at Glen, a 9-year-old boy who suffered paraplegia that made him unable to walk, so he had a wheelchair. The two of them were talking, he was kneeling beside Glen.

"I feel like these different feelings are swarming in my mind and heart right now. It's so confusing..."

I continue to watch him. Thinking about all the things that he does to mess up my once organized and rational way of thinking. He leaves me frustrated and at the same time in awe.