Chapter 25: The diamond in rough (Part 3)

It's been a year ever since Suisei met Haruto.

Now 11 year old, not much has changed since the fire accident of that day. Haruto, still being the loner at school, Suisei still hangs around with her friend most of the time.

But they meet up with each other from time to time, for either lunch, chit-chatting, arguing with each other, staring at the scenery from the rooftop together, or perhaps having another cooking competition.

Haruto enjoys Suisei company, with her being the only person who he can call a friend, someone who makes his boring school life slightly more interesting.

Occasionally teasing Suisei, making fun of her, seeing her blush or embarrass, he could proudly say that most of Suisei's fans will kill him to take his place, if they could do that that is.

If only his family background is at least normal...Raising up Fubuki, sometimes, he is scared that the lack of a mother will affect her mental growth, and their father isn't helping at all.

But thank god that through his effort, Fubuki is still having an alright childhood, growing up normally till now.

Meanwhile for Suisei, Haruto is a mysterious person.

Loner, dozing off at class, unwilling to socialize, and uncooperative most of the time. Her effort of integrating him with the class have all gone to waste till now.

Still, she doesn't hate him...or you could say, she is interested in him, not in a romantic way of course. It's just that he gives off a feeling that she never felt from anyone else.

Mysterious, mature, and reliable. Being around him, is comfy, and she likes it. She can relax easily around him, letting her guard down, enjoying his company. He is an interesting person, indeed.

At least he will provide her with good food, eating the fried fish prepared by Haruto, she thinks in her mind.

Crunchy, rich in favour, cooks just right, she had long given up on the category of cooking when it was with Haruto, Nowaday, Haruto will make some more extra benton to share with her, as bribery when he is too lazy to do homework.

Taking a second bite, thus finishing the fish fillet, she takes a look at the boy who she had known for a year, laidback as usual. Being friends with each other, she now understands him a lot more now.

Besides her, Haruto is having his own lunch too, made by himself.

The rooftop has been their secret place ever since, with many memories being made here.

"Haruto, aren't you going for the school trip? You're the only one who didn't sign up in class, do you know that?" Asking Haruto, Suisei continues. "It's only once a year you know? You will miss a lot if you didn't join us."

"Who cares? It's not like all of you will welcome me or what...Don't wanna spoil your happy trip, you know?" "And staying at home means that I can sleep more too..." Haruto is tempted by the idea of sleeping for a few more days.

"Haih, I guess so, it won't be fun to you I guess." But, I wanna make some memories with you too, as friends. "Then, how about we go somewhere fun during our holiday?"

Determined to help her friend, still, she has a cunning plan.

"Nope, proposal rejected." Without hesitation, Haruto rejects Suisei's suggestion. "Nothing beats sleep, even if you're my only friend."

...

Suisei stares at Haruto.

Haruto turns his head in another way.