Chapter 26: The diamond in rough (Part 4)

And with that, Haruto silently watches Suisei closing the door of his and Fubuki's bedroom, as she went in to check on Fubuki. Through the opening of the door, he can barely see Fubuki hugging her pillow, weeping by herself, her tears coming out from her light green eyes, indicating the mood she is now in.

Sighing, he decides to ignore the complex feeling coming from his brain, the sense of guilt went away as he shakes his head, Haruto convinces himself. He needs to be strict, whether Fubuki likes it or not. And just now, Fubuki really is in a dangerous spot.

He doesn't want Fubuki to be brought up as a spoilt kid, who always puts herself in danger. And lacking a responsible parent, he needs to educate Fubuki by himself, which has always been hard for him.

But he is already suited to it, the role of a guardian, and he ain't planning to give it up.

"Yoshi...time to cook." Stretching his arm, Haruto picks up a stool from the living room and moves it to the kitchen, placing it down on the floor. On the dining table, is some ingredient that Haruto had brought a few days ago, with the money his father didn't take away from home today.

Standing on top of the stool carefully, Haruto gains some height, allowing him to reach for the kitchen counter easily. And with his small hand, he holds a relatively big kitchen knife, and proceeds to prepare the ingredient.

"Chop,chop,chop,chop..." Chopping the chicken and onion, Haruto's mind wanders wild, wondering how Suisei will deal with Fubuki's emotion, wondering how could he get enough money from his father to buy food, wondering what Suisei is up to recently.

Aih, why do I have to deal with so many things at such a young age. Thinking in his mind, Haruto is worried about many things.

And as time passes, Haruto eventually finds himself finishing their dinner, while the girls are still staying in the room, not wanting to come out.

What's taking them so long? Haruto, getting impatient, decides to check on them. With his hand holding the doorknob, he proceeds to open it.

Well, at least he plans to, before the conversation inside the door interested him.

"Haih, don't worry too much. He is just scared that something might happen to you." Easily determining it as Suisei's voice, he can feel the tiredness of her. "Your Onechan loves you a lot, that's why he doesn't want to put you in danger."

"But, this isn't the first time he has been so strict on me... Last time he also scolded me for a similar reason." Although not crying now, the sadness from her word is clear. "Did he really hate me that much, he doesn't seem to like me sticking close to him."

"I know it's been hard for Onechan, taking care of the house and me...But I can't help but feel like that I'm a burden to him." Stopping a while, she continues. "And it's been worse recently...with father behaving this way."

"He didn't spend much time with me already...I remember the last time I went somewhere with him was a month ago."

"I remember the days where I would just hang around him for a whole day, and he would accompany me, playing with me. But now, it's rarely the case."

"I don't know if I can handle this anymore...I really want the previous Onechan back"

Hearing this word, Haruto feels his heart hurt a bit, giving off a bitter smile to himself, he put down his hand from the knob.

Looks like I ain't doing a good job as a big brother. Thinking in his mind, he walks away from the door, putting the food on the table for Fubuki to have it later.

As for him, he wants to take a stroll outside, breaths in some fresh air.

Opening the door, the light from the sky started getting dimmer, as the Sun begins to set. And with him wandering around aimlessly, he thought about the decision he makes ever since their mother left them a few years ago, when his father started gambling more and more.