Chapter 2: Saved

Wangji felt his back getting dragged on dirt and pebbles. It hurts a little and his having a difficult time breathing because of his robes that are on his throat, constricting. Is he being dragged by the collar? Lan Wangji let out a low groan and that seems to startle the one who's dragging him. The crunch of the pebbles beneath someone, comes closer. And then there's something cold poking his face. Lan Wangji knitted his brows, there's someone touching him. He doesn't like the idea of that.

The cold finger stopped and Wangji felt relieved but then those fingers went for his forehead, Wangji opened his eyes and swatted the hand away weakly

The cold finger stopped and Wangji felt relieved but then those fingers went for his forehead, Wangji opened his eyes and swatted the hand away weakly. He heard a low hiss from someone.

The rose-colored sky welcomed him on sight, it's dusk

The rose-colored sky welcomed him on sight, it's dusk. How long was he out, and how far did his savior drag him? Wangji slowly sits up. His two hands supporting his upper body and preventing him from flopping down to the dirt. Someone shifted beside him and he turned his head to his savior to give words of gratitude but failed when he finally laid his eyes on, not a human, but a creature.

Its hip was merged into a pitch-black tail, that shines golden reflecting the light from the sky. Its fluke was swirls of bloody red mixing with the color black as the night. The black and reddish scales also cover half of his torso, some of it extending to its shoulders like a piece of clothing. Its long black hair is sticking to its pale arms and in a complete disarray. Protruding from his hair, Wangji saw spiny ears also in black with the mix of red. Its face is also pale and houses two orbs of kaleidoscope of colors. Those silver eyes with mix of blue and yellow are staring at him unblinking.

It is astounding and nothing like he had ever seen before

It is astounding and nothing like he had ever seen before. Lan Wangji doesn't know whether to be amazed or be scared, for it is fearful and beautiful all the same.

He was so lost in awe and shock that he did not quite follow the next movement of the creature. Pale hands with webbed fingers reached out to his face and its too late for Wangji to move away. Cold fingers are touching his ears very softly. The creature seems to be at awe felling the lobes of his ears that are now starting to felt hot.

Embarrassment flooded inside Wangji and once again he slapped those hands away earning another hiss from the creature exposing its sharp teeth before lapping on one of its arms.

Oh. It's wounded. Lan Wangji realized. The creature was injured, probably caused by the ghouls. Now, he also caught sight of several scratches on the creature's arms and lower hip.

Lan Wangji waited for the creature to finish tending to its wounds. Wangji can't help, he doesn't know how to cure creatures with half-human and half-tail. He noted in mind that he will look it up soon at the library pavilion. When finished, the creature turned to him once again and just gaped at him before reaching out again for his ears. Lan Wangji managed to sit upright this time and avoid it. Bowing low to the creature.

"Thank you," He said wondering if the creature can understand him.

"- for saving this disciple's life." He added after a few seconds. Wangji is still not used to talking much. It's hardwork.

Instead of receiving a response, cold fingers made its way to Wangji's left ear again. He reeled back in shock. The creature can't understand him at all but was so fascinated with his ears, now going red from anger and embarrassment.

"Don't," he stated probably a little bit louder this time.
"-do that." He said to the creature.

It must be the sudden shift in Wangji's voice that made the creature stop reaching out to him. The creature knows that he's angry somehow. The creature turned around and drag its body and tail toward the water. Is it leaving? Wangji thought.

He was also quite amused realizing that he's been dragged by the creature for a long time but only made it a few feet away from the lake bank.

Well, the creature looks like it's the same age as him but he doesn't know whether or not it's a boy or a girl. Does creature like this have gender? The splash of water pulled Wangji from his thoughts. The creature is gone and nowhere in sight. It probably went back to the depths of the lake.

He stared at the surface of the lake for a few seconds regretting how he did not manage to thank the creature properly in Gusu manners. Wangji did not even noticed his own sigh of regret. He gradually stepped away from the bank when another splash surfaced on the water.

The creature is back and its reaching something out to him. On its pale hand, is a snowy white ribbon with embroidered pale blue clouds and soaking wet from the lake. Lan Wangji can't speak at all. He totally forgot about the forehead ribbon. He was so focused on the creature a while ago that he did not realize it wasn't on him at all.

The creature nudged its arm forward again, confusion marring its eyes. Lan Wangji made no move to reach for it. Since young, they have been informed about the importance of the Lan forehead ribbon. No one may touch it except-

No one may touch it!

And Lan Wangji's eyes widened in shock. The creature touched his ribbon. Its holding it out to him but he can't bring himself to reach back. The creature must have sensed that something is wrong, its lips formed a thin line and eyes went downcast.

"Young master, I think I might have seen something there."

A voice rang out from the woods behind Lan Wangji, making the creature panic and left in a hurry leaving the forehead ribbon behind, laying on pebbles and dirt.

Lan Wangji just stares at it unmoving. That's how his big brother found him. Lan Xichen hugged Wangji and his eyes are red-rimmed probably because of crying.