Chapter 13: Wounded

There’s very little information written in books and scrolls about jiaorens, that’s why Wangji is at loss. After finishing all the lessons for the day, he immediately made his way to the back mountain to make it up to Wei Ying.

He never breaks promises, especially if it’s a promise made to Wei Ying.

The jiaoren is unexpectedly an honest creature when it comes to his feelings Whenever Wangji is displeased, Wei Ying will try his best to make him feel better. He will bring pretty rocks for Wangji and sometimes hums songs for him. And as always it always lightens Wangji up. On the other hand, Lan Wangji doesn’t even know how please the jiaoren when it is angry, since this is the first time, he ever broke a promise.

When Wangji arrived at the falls, there’s no Wei Ying waving at him while beaming and flapping its tail. No one welcomed him and all the hope died down in Wangji.

“Wei Ying,” he called out in a voice that he knows will be enough to reach the jiaoren’s ears. Seconds passed and no one answered, he did not even give Wangji a splash.

The sun is scorching hot above Cloud Recesses but thanks to the cool air produced by the green trees, it remains cool in the area. Lan Wangji though, is still waiting for Wei Ying to show himself and talk to Wangji but it was in vain.

Lan Wangji plucked the strings of his guqin gently, playing the song that he has been composing for months, yet still far from finish. He wonders if Wei Ying will like it once it’s completed, the song is for him after all. The afternoon passed by, with the sound of the guqin accompanying the breeze, the playing only stopped when the sky ‘s already painted orange and gray.

Just how long will Wei Ying ignore Lan Wangji?

The latter is already feeling guilty for the wrong that he did not even have the intention of doing.

“Lan Zhan?” The silvery voice called Wangji’s name and he’s finally able to breath in relief, since Wei Ying doesn’t seem to be avoiding him.

But a question popped up in his mind, if the jiaoren is not angry at him, then why didn’t he respond to Lan Wangji’s call?

He set aside his guqin and faced the jiaoren who’s already swimming steadily toward the bank where Wangji’s at.

Lan Wangji tumbled down flat on the ground when the jiaoren leap from the water to Wangji making the boy lost his balance. Wei Ying kept on whimpering silently and clutching Wangji’s torso, hugging him completely, his tail flat between Wangji’s legs.

It has been two years since Wangji last heard these sounds coming from Wei Ying, the sound he makes when he still doesn’t know how to express himself aside from hissing, shrieking, and whining. The whimpers of the jiaoren died down and the solemn voice muffled by Wangji’s robes stated.

“Lan Zhan, you’re okay. You’re okay.”  Wei Ying keeps on repeating that sentence and his hold also getting tighter. It almost seems like Wei Ying is relieved that Wangji came.

If this is a normal situation, Lan Wangji’s ears would probably be as red as tomatoes because of too much embarrassment, being hugged by Wei Ying and all but he knows that something is wrong with Wei Ying.
He sat up and Wei Ying’s still clinging to him face buried in Wangji’s chest.

“Wei Ying?” Lan Wangji grabbed Wei Ying’s shoulder and gently peeled the creature away from him to have a better look.

Red blooming flowers are on Wangji’s robes, they’re red and blotches of them are glaring right at Wangji. They are scary because Wangji already knew from whom those blood stained belong. His grip on Wei Ying’s soldier slightly tightened and Wei Ying was surprised only for a short moment before hugging Lan Wangji once again, this time his arms circling around Wangji’s shoulders.

He was still enraged of the idea that someone had hurt Wei Ying, injuring him this much. Lan Wangji just let the jiaoren be and focused himself to find a clearer view of Wei Ying’s state.

The magnificent black tail that can par the most beautiful onyx, and just as strong, at the moment looked so broken. Blood is still seeping out of the skinned patches on his tail. It’s like someone forcefully and cruelly ripped some scales off of Wei Ying and let him bleed to himself.

They look painful even for Wangji. It’s far from just a scratch, his tail was wrecked and damaged to such degree that anyone who look will cringed back in distaste. Who did this?

Lan Wangji clenched his fists and tried to control the anger bubbling in his chest. He asked almost in a low growl, “Wei Ying, who did this?” He felt how Wei Ying stiffened in the embrace. “Lan Zhan?” He asked as if he did not hear Lan Wangji’s question at all.

“Tell me.” It’s almost painful for Wangji to control the rage he’s feeling, and to stop the gritting of his teeth.

Wei Ying buried his face in Wangji’s neck and hugged him tighter before blurting out in a haste.
“It’ just that suddenly -- yesterday I can’t hear you anymore, I can’t hear Cloud Recessess. I thought something bad happened to you, I’m glad that you’re okay.”

Lan Wangji lifted his left hand and lightly pat Wei Ying’s head to assure him that he’s just fine. Although, he did not actually answer Wangji’s question, that’s why he questioned him again. “Who did this?”

Wei Ying’s cool breath that’s fanning Wangji’s neck halted.

“I don’t have,” Wei Ying started, oddly nervous and uncertain from the usual Wei Ying. “I don’t have feet to walk and check on you so-“

And from there Wangji had this portentous feeling, he grabbed Wei Ying’s both hands and removed him from the embrace, he looked at Wei Ying’s beautiful eyes that were staring at him with guilt marring those orbs of yellow and blue. He sternly asked Wei Ying, this time the anger in his voice more prominent and the corner of his eyes feeling hotter than usual.

 “What did you do?”

Wei Ying avoided the heating gaze of Lan Wangji.

“Wei Ying!” He shouted, lost in worry and rage. He almost shook Wei Ying out of his mind with his grip like iron clamping on Wei Ying’s wrists.

Wei Ying startled from the sudden raise of voice.

“What did you do?!”

Extra scenes: Kiss

Wei Ying: Lan Zhan.

12-year-old Wangji: Mn?

Wei Ying: Can you give me a kiss?

12-year-old beet red Wangji: W-what?

Wei Ying: Give. Me. A. Kiss.

12-year-old tomato-faced Wangji: S-shameless.

Wei Ying: Lan Zhan, stingy.

Lan Xichen arrived at the scene.

Lan Xichen: A-Ying…

Wei Ying: Xichen-ge!

Lan Xichen: How are you today, A-Ying?

Wei Ying: Good. Xichen-ge, can you give me a kiss?

12-year-old Wangji: … (eyes widened in surprise)

Lan Xichen: Sure.

Wei Ying: Yay!

12-year-old Wangji: XIONG ZHANG…(intensely glaring at Lan Xichen)

(Lan Xichen got a candy from his sleeve pockets and handed it to Wei Ying.)

Wei Ying: Thanks, Xichen-ge.

12-year-old Wangji:

Lan Xichen: A-Ying, it’s sweets not kiss, okay?

Wei Ying: Not kiss?

Lan Xichen: Yes, you forgot the word again. Wangji? What’s wrong?

12-year-old Wangji: