Chapter 3: Called

Lan Wangji is inside the library pavilion, reading multiple books about beasts and mythical creatures. He’s searching for any information about his savior.

When his older brother took him back to Cloud Recesses, he kept on asking about how Lan Wangji survived or who saved him but Wangji kept his mouth shut. He did not say anything nor did he lie. ‘Lying is forbidden’. Even if he’s young, he knows that what saved him isn’t normal, isn’t common to the cultivation world. He’s worried that if he told them about it, it will be taken away.

When Lan Wangji found what he’s searching for he took the book with him in Jingshi. The Book of Legendary Creatures, that is where he found his savior.

“Jiaoren”, Lan Wangji said to himself. That creature is a Jiaoren.

 That creature is a Jiaoren

It is recorded that Jiaoren is a legendary creature that existed thousands of years ago. During the years where cultivation was slowly being founded, there were no sightings of these creatures then people assumed they are already obliterated and gone. They are just legends. Like what Wangji saw, a Jiaoren was described as a human with the characteristic of a fish. They have tails, webbed hands and ears. They also have gills and lungs that allow them to breath underwater and on land. There are texts that Jiaoren can acquire feet somehow but it is not said in the book how. There’s also a record that tells how a Jiaoren makes people rich although not stated how. But it is also said that Jiaoren brings calamity and meeting one can only mean bad omen, but Wangji brushed it aside for it is already proven wrong by how a Jiaoren just saved his life.

Aside from these informations, there’s nothing left. It seems like mortal doesn’t know much about the nature of Jiaorens. Lan Wangji closed the book and knitted his brows in disappointment. It doesn’t have the information that he needed.

The book does not tell what kind of food Jiaoren eats or what sort of things they like. That’s what Wangji wants to know.

After what happened, Lan Xichen did not allow his little brother to join any more night hunts to gain experience. He said that he will only allow it until Wangji’s old enough.