Chapter 24: Dressed

“Wei Ying.” The second jade of Lan softly called the jiaoren’s name.

The morning sun is already peaking from the horizon, it’s a sign that any minute now, disciples from Lan as well as the other clan will begin their morning routines. Breakfast was already set and they’re steaming hot and inviting. Oddly, Wei Ying isn’t up yet. He’s usually very excited about breakfast. Lan Wangji wonders if he’s tired and so he left the jiaoren be, and instead prepared the materials and scrolls needed for the day’s class. Since the grandmaster is still at the Unclean Realm for an unknown matter, Lan Xichen and the elders have to handle the classes.

Speaking of elders, they threw a fit when they had found out about the mysterious woman or man that the disciples were whispering on about. A beautiful person, they said, embraced the ever stoic and peerless Lan Wangji. And because Lan Wangji is highly respected in the clan, just like his brother, the elders did not want to let such rumors stain one of their jades. They immediately confronted Lan Xichen about the matter, and finally calmed down when told that Wei Ying is a disciple from Unclean Realm who arrived late due to some complications on his travel. It looks like Lan Xihen cajoled with Nie Huaisang in exchange for permission to allow the latter to paint Wei Ying, which Lan Wangji reluctantly agreed to, on one condition: He has to be present when that time comes. Wei Ying on the other hand was very excited when he had found out that someone will paint him, he adores painting. But even everyone had gone dumbstruck when they heard an odd request: “Can you paint me with a tail? You see---aiyah!” Lan Wangji prevented a disaster from happening by pinching the side of Wei Ying’s waist. “Lan Zhan, why did you pinch me?!” Sometime’s the jiaoren completely forgets that he’s not just a mere mortal. All of that happened a week ago.
After the confrontation, the elders hadn’t had the chance to delve more into the matter since it was the second master of Unclean Realm who vouched for the young man. Questions of where and who Wei Ying was remained unanswered, they don’t have the right to demand such to someone not from their own clan.

And that puts Wangji and Lan Xichen in a predicament, for they have to handle a hyper and agitated Wei Ying. The latter is also allowed to attend classes, and because of that Lan Wangji had to endure the churning of his insides, knowing that all eyes were set on Wei Ying during class. Lan Wangji can’t wait every day to pry Wei Ying away from others’ eyes whenever the class ends. And since Nei Huaisang was concluded as Wei Ying’s clansman, the two are always together. Of course, Wangji is also there. It’s odd to see the second young master of Lan mingling with a group, but most of them have noticed that whenever the beautiful person is there, expect the pristine 2nd jade to be by his side. The elders are suffering from heart attacks witnessing one of the heirs of the Lan so besotted to a man!

The quiet atmosphere of the Cloud Recesses was filled with murmurs and gossips about Lan Wangji and the beautiful man from Unclean Realm. The hell with the rules, they were talking in broad daylight and exchanging information about the two. Some guessed that Lan Wangji fell in love at first sight with the boy and Lan Qiren is at Unclean Realm discussing marriage proposal between the second young master of Lan and the one they call ‘Wei Ying’, who sprouted out of nowhere and blind the world with his unearthly beauty. Lan Wangji and Lan Xichen after hearing this story accidentally (which is not eavesdropping), exchanged looks of worried, knowing that they can’t fool their uncle once he’s back. The others were amused while most of them felt jealousy towards Lan Wangji. To be betrothed to such a beauty, nevermind being a cut-sleeve.

The day after the talk with the elders, five disciples had descended from the mountain and went to Caiyi Town. It’s because of Wei Ying’s robes. Everyone will lose their minds if they see a so-called disciple from Unclean Realm wearing the robes of Lans. So, the brothers decided to go and shop for Wei Ying’s clothes. And Huaisang, the shameless disciple that could par Wei Ying, had insisted to accompany them and pulled Jiang Wanyin too in the middle of the ruckus.
The next day, almost all of the disciples inside the Lanshi gawked and had their breath taken away when a figure dressed in black and red flowy robes entered along with Lan Wangji, and behind them were Nei Huaisang and the grumpy looking Jiang Wangyin from Lotus Pier. Jin Zixuan who’s reading scripture at that moment seemed to have forgotten all the information he just read, the book fell from his hands, his eyes glued to the laughing figure. The man’s eyes crinkled in delight, housing two silver-grey orbs, long black hair tied by blood-red ribbon swaying in the wind and his lips in a wide smile while looking at Lan Wangji. No one paid attention to the fuming elder Lan at the front. Wei Ying had swept them all on their feet without him noticing. The jiaoren’s just focused on Wangji, feeling giddy and nervous seeing nothing but lump of different colors. Just outside the Lanshi, Wen Chao sneered at the view, particularly to Lan Wangji’s hand softly placed at the beautiful person’s small back.

That happened almost everyday, and now Wangji is certain that it will happen again. He is not really comfortable with how they are ogling on Wei Ying but he can’t do anything about it. He wants Wei Ying to enjoy the world and be free. Although, he’s happy that Wei ying only pays attention to him and not anyone else. And that applies during the class too, Wei Ying isn’t paying any mind to the elder but instead transfixed on Wangji’s perfect sitting form. Sometimes the jiaoren will grab the hems of Wangji’s robes and just holds on them until the class ends.

Lan Wangji had already finished the preparation but Wei Ying is still asleep on the bed. The jiaoren is wearing its favorite undershirt which is Wangji’s and was sprawled on the bed, hair spilt like ink on the sheets. The second-jade of Lan released an amused sigh and shook his head lightly. He made his way to the bed and sat beside the sleeping figure.

“Wei Ying,” He chided.

Hands like a feather, he softly patted Wei ying’s cheeks.

“Wei Ying.” Lan Wangji called one more time. The jiaoren did not respond, not even its usual groan of annoyance when he’s being disturbed. Today, Wei Ying is…quiet.

“Wei Ying?” This time Lan Wangji called in a voice laced with worry. He grabbed Wei Ying’s hand and said, “Wei Ying, wake up.” There’s nothing but silence and Wangji’s rapidly beating heart.

He cupped Wei Ying’s face with both hands and shook lightly, afraid of the possibility that he might hurt him. “Wei Ying?”

Still no response…

Lan Wangji called his name secveral times more but still notjing seems to wake the jiaoren up and by then, Wangji’s already certain that…

Wei Ying is not breathing.

Extra scene: Reason

Wei Ying: Lan Zhan, I’ve seen a rabbit. Nie Huaisang helped me catch it.

Lan Wangji: Mn.

Wei Ying: Finally…

Lan Wangji: Do you want to keep it?

Wei Ying: Keep it? No.

Lan Wangji: Then…

Wei Ying: Lan Zhan, can we eat it? I have always wondered how rabbits taste like. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water.

Lan Wangji: The lanterns, the rabbit paintings…

Wei Ying: Huh? Lan Zhan?

Lan Wangji: You…

Wei Ying: I want to eat them, Lan Zhan. Can I?

Lan Wangji:

Lan Xichen: Wangji did you really think A-Ying liked rabbits for the first time because they are cute? I think they look tasty from the very first time you showed him the lantern.

Lan Wangji:

Wei Ying: Lan Zhan, Xichen-ge. So? Can I?

Wei Ying & Lan Xichen: *looking at Lan Wangji*

Lan Wangji: *whispers* but that is my rabbit.

Nie Huaisang: Wangji-xiong. He-he. I’ve seen them in the back mountain, there’s actually a pair of the—
Lan Wangji: … *coldly looking at Huaisang*

Jiang Wanyin: What are you looking at? Tch.

Wei Ying: … Can I eat it now?