Chapter 14: Clawed

“A-Ying did that to himself?!”

Lan Xichen can’t believe what he’s hearing at the moment from his little brother. He’s enjoying his tea time when Lan Wangji came and told him that he needs to see something. The bag of herbs and bandages that’s on Wangji’s hand did not miss his eyes, so they left in a hurry and witnessed the current state of the jiaoren, bloody and hurt.

“Mn. He…” Wangji hesitated for a moment, the words are even harder to say, because they are unbelievable.

“He clawed his scales off.” He continued. His face is rigid and stony meeting his brother’s gaze.

“Why would A-Ying do that?” Lan Xichen reprimanded, his eyes sometimes straying to the bandaged-up jiaoren sitting atop a huge rock by the waterfalls.

“He said he can’t hear Cloud Recesses. Tried to drag himself through the rocky bank. Clawed his tail,”
Wangji closed his eyes for a moment, dreading to omit the rest. “hoping for feet.” Lan Wangji finished and witnessed how his older brother’s eyes widened in shock by the revelation.

“He peeled some of his scales off, in hope that he would acquire legs?” No matter how many times Lan Wangji explained it to Xichen, he still can’t grasp it in his mind. Wei Ying is a bright and sunny child. To do such reckless act, such as hurting himself is unthinkable.

That is unless, Xichen realized after giving it some thoughts, “You are involved.” Lan Xichen blurted out what he’s thinking and Wangji gave him a questioning look.

“It’s nothing, Wangji.” Lan Xichen said.

Wei Ying out of concern for Lan Wangji, seems like he threw away all of his common sense and decided to abide by his instincts. Whenever the second young master Lan is involved, the creature becomes selfless. These thoughts were running inside Xichen’s.

The brothers turned their attention to Wei Ying who’s slightly scratching his nose out of boredom. The jiaoren saw that both of them are looking at him so it smiled awkwardly and waved a little to Xichen and Wangji. The creature is still feeling guilty for making Wangji angry and worried. But it was Wangji’s fault since he did not arrive like he promised and there’s also the issue about his hearing.

“A-Ying’s ears changed, like how the rest of his features did.” Xichen discussed to Lan Wangji, whose eyes are still glued to Wei Ying in concern.

Xichen chose to continue, even though his little brother’s attention is fully caught by the creature that was currently inspecting and patting the bandages wrapped on its tail.

Xihen explained, “The sudden change in his appearance must have also altered his abilities. When he still has his jiaoren’s ears, he can hear your footsteps from far away and he can even hear your call underwater. But now, it seems like his hearing became mediocre, like a mortal. That’s why he said he can’t hear Cloud Recessess and that must also be the reason why he did not hear your call a while ago when he’s underwater.”

Wangji, “Mn.”

Lan Xichen’s speculations are exact and precise. It all makes sense now, but the remaining question is, why is Wei Ying evolving? What triggers the change?

Wangji clutched Bichen tightly in his hands, “Is it normal for him to change?” He asked Xichen.

His older brother merely gave him a pat on the shoulder and replied honestly, “I wish I could answer your question Wangji, but my knowledge about A-Ying’s race is as limited as yours. The records we have at the library pavilion doesn’t cover much.”

Lan Wangji, “the forbidden section?”

“Shufu still haven’t given his permission. I will be allowed to visit the forbidden section after three more years, by then I will be the acting sect leader like what father had said.”