Chapter 19: Walked

The crunching of dry leaves beneath someone’s feet alerted Wei Ying, without thinking, he stood up in great difficulty and proceeded to walk towards the person which he thought was Lan Wangji. His excitement got to him, the urge to surprise Lan Wangji and see his reaction was all what the jiaoren’s thinking about, not knowing that instead of Wangji, it was someone from the Wen clan, Wen Chao.

The situation had registered in his mind when he toppled down because of his weak and unaccustomed new legs! He stiffened right away when he saw the boots in front of him, they’re black not the snowy white boots of Lan Wangji. It is too late for Wei Ying to regret the recklessness of his actions, to not further increase the damage of what he’s done, the jiaoren closed his eyes, hiding the odd glow of colors in them. If the stranger witnessed them, Wei Ying is certain he’s doomed.

The look of surprise and admiration in Wen Chao’s eyes turned greedy and wanting as he stares at the slumped pale form in front of him, dressed measly with a loose white undershirt. The figure looks so delicate that Wen Chao’s hands are itching to touch them.

“Why are you here this late?” The Wen heir cooed at the man or woman in front, he can’t tell.

“Are you okay? Does something hurt? Do you want me to help you up?” Wen Chao raised his hand to touch the shoulder of the figure who flinched knowing that he’s about to be touched. That made Wen Chao even more thrilled.

Lan Wangji and Lan Xichen arrived at the back mountain. Disregarding the rules they highly follow, the both of them sprinted amount their swords.

When they arrived beside the waterfalls, there’s Wen Chao and he’s crouching low, reaching out to a figure Lan Wangji knows too well, Wei Ying.

The brothers acted right away, Lan Xichen blocked Wei Ying from Wen Chao’s view, Wangji on the other hand, was stunned because in place of Wei Ying’s gorgeous black tail was a gorgeous set of pale legs.  

“Lan Zhan?” There’s still a hint of fear in the jiaoren’s voice. He’s still bowing low and has his eyes closed. Witnessing the distress of the creature, Lan Wangji set aside the questions forming in his mind. His curiosity can wait.

“I’m here.” Lan Wangji assured him. He removed his outer robe and covered the exposed skin of Wei Ying.

The thought that someone else had seen Wei Ying like that left a bad taste in his mouth. Once he’s sure that Wei Ying is properly tucked in, he put his arm around Wei Ying’s shoulder and the other behind Wei ying’s knees. Not seeing Wei Ying with his tail seems impossible for him. Lan Wangji lifted the jiaoren off the ground as if he weighed nothing. Wei Ying immediately clutched Lan Wangji’s robe in his fist and buried his face in the crook of Wangji’s neck.

“Lan Zhan.” Wei Ying murmured, his breath leaving a slightly tingling sensation on Wangji’s skin.

The Wen heir is still following Wei Ying’s movement, like a predator ready to hunt. Lan Wangji tightened his grip on Wei Ying’s body when he witnessed the excitement dancing in the eyes of Wen Chao.

“Wen-gongzi, apart from the Lan clan’s direct descendants, no one is allowed inside the back mountain. Wen-gonzi needs to accept his punishment accordingly.” Lan Xichen recited with calmness that even Wangji wouldn’t be able to pull off at the moment, knowing that Wen Chao has seen Wei Ying.

“I got lost, that’s all.” Wen Chao replied in a dull voice, his eyes not straying away from Wei Ying. “It seems like that person is lost too. Don’t tell me he’s also a direct descendant of the Lan?” His finger pointed at the jiaoren, who’s still concealing it’s face away from the stranger’s gaze and treating Wangji’s collar bone as his own haven. Wangji is just letting the jiaoren do whatever it wants. He is more concerned about what Wen Chao knows.