Chapter 8: Knew

“Xiongzhang,”

Wangji was stunned in place once he turned around and found out that his older brother is standing there, hidden by the shadows of the trees and gazing at the black surface of the water where the jiaoren had just went into a few minutes ago.

How long was he standing there?

Did he see?

Once his brother’s eyes glanced at him, Wangji made an unexpected step back. Lan Xichen must have witnessed the fear in Wangji’s eyes. He released a sigh and walked closer to Wangji.

“I knew you would be here.” He stated kneeling on one knee before Wangji and holding his stiff shoulders gently.

“Xiongzhang, it’s not real.” He reasoned out. What would he say to his brother?

“What is not real, Wangji?” Xichen asked.

“The legends,” Lan Wangji felt like his mind is going in turmoil. He’s afraid for the creature, for his new friend. "The jiaoren is not bad."

Lan Xichen smiled and patted Wangji’s head softly, he does that whenever he’s trying to calm Wangji down.

“Do you think I will allow you to meet with it if I know it’s going to hurt you?” He explained with a soothing voice as to not make Wangji panic more.

“And besides, my little brother finally made a friend and is happy. How could I not support you? Hmm?”

“So,it is okay,” Wangji asked with hope visible in his voice. “- to visit it,”

“Of course.” His older brother answered.

But Wangji isn’t finish with his sentence yet,

“- everyday?”

His brother laughed softly, perhaps entertained by Wangji’s eagerness and unexpected request.

“I think that is too much to ask of me Wangji.”

Wangji is a little disappointed hearing the answer of his older brother.

“Mn.” Wangji went quiet for a few seconds. But since his brother doesn’t seem to mind that he befriended a jiaoren, he was relieved. He is thankful.

Lan Wangji let out a breath of relief. “How long?” He asked.

“Let’s just say you’re not really good at keeping secrets Wangji. And besides you know that it is forbidden to take any book out of the library pavilion without asking for permission. Don’t forget that sometimes I also clean the Jingshi.” His older brother said, amusement visible in his voice. He’s also suppressing a chuckle from coming out.

“Then, why not let me go to Caiyi?”

“A disciple your age isn’t always allowed to go outside. Uncle will be displeased, you know that. He also doesn't know that we are going here at Caiyi for the festival and – “