Chapter 4: Passed

Due to his brother's deep concern for him, Lan Wangji had no choice but to follow and abide the rules set up for him by Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren. He have been studying, copying scriptures, reading cultivation texts and training his spiritual power for two months.

Once, he tried asking Lan Xichen again if he will allow him to go to Caiyi Town and when Xichen asked him why, he replied.

"Loquats."

Xichen can't believe it

"Wangji, remember the last time you asked me that? I bought a basket of loquats for you. Yet, you did not even eat them after trying one." His older brother reminded him and Wangji remained resolute.

"Too sweet." He insisted before sipping the Jade tea prepared by Xichen.

"Then why are you asking for loquats again?"
Wangji sighed.

"Not asking. I will go." He decided not to look at his brother's face. Xichen can read Wangji very well that sometimes it is hard for Wangji to hide his emotions to his brother.

"Not sweet loquats," Wangji threaded his words very carefully, he can't have his brother knowing about his plan. "I will find it."

Xichen's brows quirked up in amusement, his little brother is unintentionally acting cute again.

"Wangji, are you really sure you are looking for 'not sweet' loquats at Caiyi?"

Wangji felt his ears getting hot from embarrassment. He did not answer Xichen. He doesn't know any other excuse to give to him. What else can be bought in Caiyi that might interest him, aside from loquats? Wangji doesn't know how to make excuses. He's too young but he's turning seven soon, surely by then he can come up with a better excuse to give Xichen.

"I will ask a disciple to find loquats that aren't too sweet at Caiyi. Do not worry, Wangji."

Wangji gave up asking to go to Caiyi Town. His brother will not allow him as long as the water ghouls are still rampant in the area. Several cultivators from Lan clan are already stationed near the banks, protecting the locals of Caiyi. There's no way Xichen will allow him at all. That's why he went back to studying and spend days focusing on lectures.

Three more months passed and Wangji asked Xichen again. But this time, Wangji has hope, it's the day before his birthday.

"Xiong Zhang, can I go to Caiyi Town tomorrow?"

Lan Xichen who's currently organizing reports from younger disciples looked at him for a few seconds before releasing a long sigh.

"You may, Wangji."

Wangji was right. His older brother can't say no to him because it's his birthday, he can't help but smile a little bit when he received the permission.

"But I will come with you."

The tiny smile that Wangji has on his lips died down when he heard Xichen's statement.

"You're going to buy loquats, right? You can't carry them on your own, so I will go with you." Xichen pat Wangji's head gently before continuing his work.

Wangji was wrong again, he's almost seven but he still can't make an excuse that will make Xichen allow him to go by himself. How old does he need to be? Wangji wondered for a long time but then accepted the proposed idea of his older brother.

"Thank you, Xiong Zhang."

Wangji thought that he will find a way to sneak for a short while tomorrow while they visit Caiyi but then stopped with the ridiculous because it is against the rules. His brother and his uncle are going to be disappointed at him.

Lan Wangji slept that night and dreamt about gray orbs with shades of blue and yellow glowing bright like gems.

They are going to be so disappointed.

Wangji is having a battle with himself whether to go back to the marketplace or not. He is currently on his way to the lake bank where he had last seen the creature. But then the guilt he's feeling seems wrong.

He should not have snuck out while his brother is distracted by the hair ornaments and jade pins. But he did anyway. He needs to give proper thanks to the creature that saved his life. The last time did not end well, the look that the Jiaoren has on its face was clearly disappointment and sadness mixed in one. Wangji doesn't feel comfortable seeing that.

And that brought him to his current situation. Two hands carrying a basket full of loquats that according to Lan Xichen aren't too sweet. Definitely will suit Wangji's taste.

Although, it's not for Wangji, it will be eaten by the Jiaoren

Although, it's not for Wangji, it will be eaten by the Jiaoren. If it likes them, then Wangji will even give it the whole basket.

Lan Wangji is sure that Xichen will ask about the loquats, he just left them aside for a few moments and Wangji snatched them away and briskly made his way into the woods towards the lake. Since the number of ghouls have been decreasing rapidly there aren't much disciples on patrol. Wangji accidentally heard the information from two disciples at Cloud Recesses. He did not eavesdrop. It is forbidden.

Few minutes passed and finally he reached the shore. As expected, there aren't any disciples around. Lan Wangji walked closer to the water and place the basket of loquats on a nearby rock while he sat at the bigger boulder.

Is the young Jiaoren still here in the lake? Or was he captured? No, it can't be. Biling Lake is huge and deep compared to other lakes around the area, the Jiaoren has a lot of space to hide and conceal itself away from mortals' eyes.

Upon coming to this place, Wangji just realized that he doesn't know how to call the Jiaoren or even how to talk to it.

Wangji is sitting and waiting for the Jiaoren to come. But the water on the lake is calm and quiet. He crossed his legs and meditated although his ears are aware for any noise or splash that might come from the body of water. An hour passed and still there is no sign of the creature. Wangji is glad that he had his lunch at Caiyi. His stomach is full and he will not get hungry from waiting. Another hour passed and Wangji's legs are going numb so he stood up.

He is walking back and forth by the shore constantly eyeing the basket of loquats, thinking that he will have to carry it back again if he hasn't got the chance to give it to the Jiaoren.

Another hour passed, Wangji is sitting on the huge boulder again humming to himself. It's the song that his mother always loved to sing. It's already dusk, he had been waiting for three hours already. His brother must be getting worried.

Wangji stood up and dusted off his white pristine robes. He reached for the basket of loquats and heard a squeak so quiet it's barely heard.

Wangji can't lift the loquats anymore because on the other side of the basket, a pale hand is also pulling at it, stubborn to let go.