Chapter 15: Interrupted

"Lan Zhan ~ I'm bored."

Wei Ying stretched his whole body on the boulder like a fish about to be dried by the sun. Lan Wangji briefly glanced at him before turning his attention back to the scripture he's reading. He's used to the blabbering of the jiaoren and its usual antics.

"Lan Zhan ~" Wei Ying called.

"Lan Wangji ~" He said in a sing-song voice but Wangji remains stoned-face.

"Wangji-xiong?"

"Lan-er gongzi!" Wei Ying exaggeratedly pouted at Lan Wangji but this has been the latter's usual day, so the words of the jiaoren entered his left ear and passed through the right. Wei Ying's being ignored.

Unbeknownst to Wangji, the sly smile on the jiaoren's face appeared again.

"Lan-er gege ~" It's almost a whisper, but the silvery voice hit Lan Wangji strong.

He can't help the blush coloring his ears, gladly, his hair is hiding most of the evidence. However, even if the jiaoren's eyesight is blurry due to too much brightness from the sun, he can tell that Lan Wangji is embarassed, so he pushed again.

"Lan-er gege ~ I'm bored. Why don't Lan-er gege play with Wei Ying? Hmm?" It is hard to break Wangji's wall when he's busy with his studies, so WeiYing is not really expevting a response from the young man.

"After." Lan Wangji answered, his ears scarlet-red. He's used to the jiaoren's usual tricks and teasing but this other level of shamelessness? Wangji is still vulnerable to it. He will be probably vulnerable to it forever.

"But Lan Zhan, I have nothing else to do! I'm bored of diving deep down the falls, collecting pretty rocks for you and even playing with the ants near the bank. Play with me Lan-er gege~" Wei Ying already memorized every corner of the waterfalls. It became his personal territory. He can even tell how many boulders there are and how deep the water is. He even knows if there's an additional rock to the family that came from above the falls.

"You may read." Lan Wangji suggested, his eyes glued to the scripture he's reading.

"Ugh, I finished all of the books you've brought me and even Xichen-ge's book recommendations. The books you've brought me are boring too Lan Zhan, so I finished them quickly. However, the books Xichen-ge gave me are interesting. I think I will have to ask for the next volume. Hey, Lan Zhan! Are you listening?" If only Wei Ying can reach Wangji he would already be clinging to his side but Lan Wangji chose to sit to the 4th boulder a few feet away from Wei Ying.

It may seem like Lan Wangji is uninterested but he heard all of Wei Ying's babblings clearly and they are even stored in the deepest part of his memory.

Wei Ying clicked his tongue and flopped back down to his favorite boulder, the biggest one. He even named it 'Little Apple'. When Lan Xichen had asked him why he named the boulder as such, Wei Ying said,

"Calling it big apple will make it terrifying Xichen-ge, so it has to be 'Little'."

Lan Xichen nodded slowly, "But why apple and not rock?"

Wei Ying laughed out loud, "That is going to be very boring. And that boulder is the exact same place where Lan Zhan put those apples that he brought me the very first time I came to Cloud Recesses. So, I hereby named my favorite boulder 'Little Apple'."

"Shameless." Lan Wangji said. He had been listening to the whole conversation.

Wei Ying chuckled to himself when he remembered the flushed-face Lan Wangji from that time.

Lan Wangj stole a glance of Wei Ying when he heard the light chuckle of the jiaoren. What could be in his mind that made him smile softly like that? Wangji wondered.