Chapter 32: Watched

Wangji, His older brothers eyes closed briefly as if trying to maintain his composure by breathing in a lungful of air.

Lan Wangji looked at him shortly, acknowledging his arrival, Xiongzhang, before going back to his perfect stance, kneeling in front of the Lanshi as a show of reflection for breaking the arm of Wen Shao. But he knows that his older brother can see in plain sight that he is being stubborn and is not even reflecting on what hes supposed to mull over.

You dislocated young master Wens arm. He stated as blandly as the soup they serve in Cloud Recesses.

Hmn, Wangji replied with a little nod.

And kicked him out of Cloud Recesses. Xichen added the charges against him.

Hmn.

You could have caused grave injury in one of Wen Rouhans sons. Now, Lan Xichen is talking as if hes discussing a lesson to a few younger disciples in the clan.

Lan Wangji turned to his brother, quietly contemplating where the conversation is heading before humming a reply, Hmn.

I would not have minded if you have left a few more broken bones on the list for me. His older brother commented and hummed to himself while giving a probing look at him.

He gestured for him to stop kneeling which Lan Wangji complied without a word. Why would I punish you for protecting a precious family from getting harmed? You know how much I care about A-Ying, if hes put into danger, Ill draw my sword without second thoughts too. Xichen patted his shoulder and Wangji just nodded grimly.

You did not break any rules Wangji. You wont be punished.

Lan Wangji almost breathed a sigh of relief as his brother pats his shoulder for reassurance. That is until their uncles voice entered the scene.

Xichen, is this how youre going to lead the clan? Cant you see how grave the situation is?! Lan Qiren implied once he entered the pavilion and witnessed how Wangji has been pardoned for the mistake he has committed.

His older brother faced their uncle with a calm expression on his face, unperturbed by their uncles pointed look.

Shufu, what Wangji did is righteous, I would never commend my brother for an action that is done to protect others in need.

Their uncle huffed in disappointment and stormed out of the scene muttering to himself how kids these days are easily corrupted. Wangji thought that perhaps in their uncles mind, he knew he would never win when two of his nephews were completely on the same page. They watched as their uncles retreating back out of sight.

A few breaths passed, Xiongzhang, Wei Ying –

A-Ying is with Jiang Wanyin and Nei Huaisang now. I believe they are waiting inside the Yashi and having tea. A-Ying insisted to follow me here however I insisted that he stays and that I will bring you right over. Lan Xichen explained.

Lan Wangji nodded and bowed to his older brother before making his way out to head to the Elegant room. After what transpired between them and Wen Chao, he cannot shake off the feeling of worry for his Wei Ying, so he can barely manage to be away from the other man for too long.

What he did not expect upon arriving inside the Yashi was Wei Ying on the floor, lying flat on his back, white robes in disarray, teasing smile directed at the person hovering on top of him who is grabbing the collar of Wei Yings robe. It was Jian Wanyin. Just behind Jiang Wanyin, holding his arms and prying him off of Wei Ying is Nei Huaisang and just beside the tea table watching everything unfold with amusement and a bit of concern in his eyes is Jin Zixuan.