Chapter 25: Submerged

"Wangji?" Lan Xichen's voice muffled by the close door of the Jingshi breached the loud beating sound of Lan Wangji's heart. He can't call out his brother's name and ask for help. In his arms, lies the peacefully sleeping jiaoren, not breathing and silent. He had been transferring waves of spiritual energy to Wei Ying, but it's no use. He is not human. He doesn't have a golden core that harnesses spiritual energy. Therefore, the second jade of Lan can't do anything.

He doesn't know how long it's been since he found out that Wei Ying is not breathing. Oddly, he lost count of the time. He doesn't even care about anything else.

Noticing that something must be wrong. Lan Xichen opened the door and immediately looked for his little brother. He's been told to knock or call if he's planning to enter Wangji's home, but it's unusual for his brother not to respond right away. When he went to the other side of the Jingshi, the sight of his little brother sitting beside the bed and clutching Wei Ying close to his chest, welcomed him. If it's the usual shamelessness of the two, Lan Xichen would have run out of the room right away, but this time, it's different. His little brother's eyes were red-rimmed and his hand that was on Wei Ying's pulse was trembling slightly along with whispers of the other's name.

"Wangji? A-Ying?"

Lan Xichen felt like he's stepping on ice. He's afraid to ask further questions and regret to hear the answer for it's going to be painful, he knows.

When his little brother looked up, Lan Xichen wondered if they were once again back to the time when their mom left them. Wangji was so broken-hearted, his eyes say it all.

"Xiong-zhang, he's..." The clogged on Wangji's throat made it impossible for him to spill more words.

"I will call the healer." Lan Xichen said right away. He knows Wangji will never leave Wei Ying's side.

"Wei Ying..." Wangji called again for the nth time. He can feel the spiritual energy in Wei Ying dissolving to nothingness. It's like transferring water to a tub full of holes, nothing stays and Wei Ying remains empty.

"Wei Ying...please."

He gently held Wei Ying's hand and put them on his cheek, searching for warmth and waiting for the bright and cheerful laugh to come.

"Wake up."

He pulled Wei Ying closer and forcefully transferred a huge amount of energy, still holding on to hope that somehow it will bring Wei Ying back to him, never minding that he was slowly getting weak from such loss of spiritual energy.

The light blue stream of light glows faintly as it disappears to WeiYing's pulse, Lan Wangji can feel the burning of his eyes and the tightening of his heart and throat.

Not him. Not Wei Ying, don't take him away.

Please.

And there it goes, the view of the door that never opened again, and he's back to the time when he's kneeling helplessly and waiting for someone who will never come back.

"Are you trying to hurt yourself?"

A pale hand framed by white robes with the red blazing symbol of the sun clasped Wangji's wrist and forced him to let go of Wei Ying's pulse.

"One patient is enough." Wen Qing eyed the situation and how protectively Lan Wangji's arms were around the man who sprouted out of nowhere in Cloud Recesses and was the cause of the everyday gossip in the clan. She cannot help but stare at the face pale enough to par the robes of the Lans.