Chapter 29: Done

The word spread like a wildfire in Gusu. Locals are gossiping and telling stories about the mysterious extermination of the waterborne abyss. Considering the records written by the predecessors of each clan, an evil being of such caliber would take years to be cleansed and purified.

“There’s an immortal guardian in Gusu.”

“It purged the monster in one single wave of its sword,” they said.

In the local teashops, storytellers are narrating the story of a divine being protecting the land of Gusu, a place worthy of the heavenly blessing.

Even the neighboring towns and sects did not miss the stories of the unbelievable event. Caiyi is bustling more than ever.

Despite the rule that prohibits disciples from gossiping, Lan Xichen didn’t put a stop to the murmurs and buzzes. When asked by the elders, he replied that he’s not sure what happened back in Biling Lake, which is not a lie. The disciples that were in the scene followed their acting-sect leader’s explanation and remained tight-lipped, none of them can decipher what occurred after the beautiful man dived down to the danger just to be with their second jade of Lan. No one suspected the man, except one. He already had a suspicion since way back, when the man suddenly appeared beside the two Jades and acted like they knew each other for years. Su She remained suspicious about the strange closeness of Lan Wangji and the man they call Wei Ying. He had his fair share of study and he’s not stupid enough to bypass something that screams ‘odd’ in every way. The wicked disciple kept on observing the man alighted on Lan Wangji’s sword, not letting him out of his sight. Regardless of the sickening closeness of the two, he endured the travel and weaved plans in his mind.

Wei Ying didn’t fail to tease Lan Zhan the whole way home, and since the man remained his usual self both of the jades were reassured that nothing’s wrong with the jiaoren. That is until Wei Ying had passed out on their way to Hanshi, Lan Wangji catching his limp form before he hit the ground. They brought him to the Jingshi right away and called for Wen Qing to check upon him. Oddly, the jingshi has been cleaned spotless. The huge tub has already been removed from the center of the room and not even a speck of stain was left. That’s how Wen Qing arrived on the scene. Her brows knitted in confusion seeing the spotless room. She was aware that they didn’t have time to clean up the mess after the jiaoren’s shifting. If Lan Xichen or Lan Wangji had witnessed the blood and grime they wouldn’t have been as composed and stoic as the faces they’re showing at that moment unless someone else had been inside the Jingshi.

“He’s feverish. I knew this would happen but he’s so stubborn to follow suit. The energy he spent shifting was too much and he did not even get much rest since his transformation. Of course, he will pass out after all of what happened.” Wen Qing lectured while pressing on several points on the jiaoren's body.

Lan Xichen wants to ask questions but he set it all aside for later.

“Is he going to be okay?” he asked instead.

“He will be fine but how cruel can you be not allowing him to transform for more than a month? Just where did you put him this entire time?” Wen Qing reprimanded them, and her over-protectiveness was once again resurfacing.

Lan Xichen frowned at the young woman’s statement. He would not want to put pressure or limit Wei Ying’s freedom. He’s like a brother to him and he cares a lot about the jiaoren and hearing someone who barely knows him put blame and assumption on them is almost an insult. “Wen-guniang, he just acquired legs barely a week ago.”

Wen Qing’s movement halted after hearing the acting-sect leader’s words.
“A week?” She asked because she couldn’t believe what she had just heard.

Silence filled the entire room. The jades are staring intently at the healer waiting for her next words. Wen Qing has her gaze fixed on the sleeping jiaoren. There are beads of sweat on her forehead and her hands slightly trembling which went unnoticed to Lan Xichen.

Lan Xichen, “Wen-guniang?”

“I need to go. A-Ning must be looking for me. If his fever didn’t die down before midnight, inform me right away.” She still doesn’t trust the jades so she will never say a word. The only thing in her mind is how she will convince the jiaoren to leave Lan Wangji. The healer knew that everything will not go well if this continues. She fixed all of the herbs and needles and exited the Jingshi without another word.

Silence enveloped both jades once Wen Qing left the room, Lan Xichen’s mind is clouded by questions that he’ll have to ask the healer the next time he got the chance. She might be unwilling to give the answers he wanted but he knows somehow that the woman cares for Wei Ying. Although he’s uncertain how that emotion got to her at all.

You Don't Know Love (Fanfic) जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें