Chapter 7: Talked

“Wangji,”

It is not the first time Lan Wangji heard that voice, but it sounds new and yet right to his reddening ears. The jiaoren stopped humming the song and looked at him with a soft smile, something that the jiaoren learned from Wangji but made it even more breathtaking. The creature flipped on its stomach and faced Wangji, its arms supporting its torso.

“Wangji,” it called, the smile never leaving its youthful face.

“Mn.” Wangji who doesn’t have any idea what to say replied, he’s tongue-tied.

“Wangji,” the jiaoren continuously called his name, as if it’s the only word it knows. Well, technically it is, but still, Wangji likes the idea that the creature only knows his name.

“I’m here.” Wangji answered.

His steps are slow and the look on the jiaoren’s face is almost impatient. Another sign is the way the fluke of its tail keeps on moving up and down in anticipation.

Lan Wangji is now standing beside the small boulder, the jiaoren’s tail even moved faster. It reminded Wangji on how a puppy’s tail wags when it is waiting for its treats. It’s cute. Lan Wangji never knew that he will ever use that word to describe someone aside from his rabbits.

“For you.” Wangji extended his hand where the bag of mantou is.

“WANGJI!” the jiaoren shouted in a lively voice that Wangji knows will probably reach quite far

“WANGJI!” the jiaoren shouted in a lively voice that Wangji knows will probably reach quite far. He nervously looks around to check whether someone heard the yell, then sighed when the sound of night crickets is the only reply he received. The locals are busy with the festival so there is a small possibility that someone will hear the jiaoren’s voice.

“Do not yell.” Wangji chided softly before placing the bag of mantou to the webbed hands that are waiting for it.

The jiaoren gave him a questioning look and Lan Wangji replied in a voice lower than before to show the creature what he meant. “Do not yell.

A look of understanding appeared in the jiaoren’s eyes and therefore leaned closer to Lan Wangji’s face.

“Wangji,” the creature whispered, pale and beautiful face just a few inches away from him.

The heat started to creep on Lan Wangji’s ears and the creature eyed them with awe. Lan Wangji knew what the jiaoren is planning so he immediately covered his ears with both hands, protecting them from the hand of the jiaoren that is about to grab them.

He gave it a stern gaze as a warning, Wangji decided that he will not deal with the jiaoren’s unusual liking to his ears. Unlike last time, the creature did not even budge under his strict gaze. Instead, it smiled brightly showing its white orderly perfect teeth.