Chapter 22: Realized

The grimy paws trapping Wei Ying’s waist let go at once, although a bit hesitant. Wen Chao doesn’t want to let go but the appearance of the grandmaster of Lan clan is a huge matter so he had no choice but to set that slim waist free. When he had seen the familiar figure lingering around the Cloud Recesses, he already knew that it was the person he saw at the back mountain when the jades of Lan interrupted. And this time, another Lan is trying to get in his way with the beautiful person, who’s peering at the advancing grandmaster.

“We allow your stay here for a month, for your ‘supervising’, but why is it that you’re here disturbing a disciple from our clan?” Lan Qiren eyed the obviously displeased young master of Qishan Wen before turning his gaze at the young mistre-
Lan Qiren cleared his throat, “H-harassment, even if it’s toward a man is also prohibited. Especially when this young master seems so uncomfortable by your approach.”

Wei Ying stiffened in place when he heard the new-comer’s statement. A man? Young-master? Even if he’s sight is blurry, he whipped his head towards the older man in white, oddly, the man has something stuck on his face? But Wei Ying ignored the black spot on the man’s face, instead his hands wandered around his own torso and to his chest. How did Wei Ying not notice? All those books he read before…isn’t Wei Ying a woman? In those books, there’s always a woman and a man and they will fall in love, like Wei Ying and Lan Zhan. So why is this goat mountain saying he’s not a woman?

“A man?!” Wen Chao looked incredulously at the grandmaster. His eyes hovered on the beautiful person who’s at lost at the moment. And that’s when he realized, it’s really a man?! “Y-you! You tricked me. To think that I was…and to a man at that?! You disgust-“

Wen Chao reached towards Wei Ying and gripped his arm. The jiaoren winced at the unexpected action.

“Wen-gongzi!” Lan Qiren warned. He can’t let such act of violence. He stepped closer to the two and witnessed how embarrassment and anger dance on the Wen’s face. The other disciple, wearing elegant white robes from the clan has his head hanging low.

The Wen heir clicked his tongue and thoughtlessly let go of Wei Ying’s arm before storming out of the scene, ashamed of himself.

With the greasy-man gone, Wei Ying slightly shifted his weight on his left leg and awkwardly smiled at the new blurry face in front of him. A blurry face with a long strand of black hair stuck on his chin.

“You. I haven’t seen you around before.”

Lan Qiren voiced out his thoughts. It’s been bothering him since a while ago. A face like the young man in front of him will surely stuck in anyone’s mind once seen, but Lan Qiren never saw him before.

“Uhm,” Wei Ying hesitated, “Yo?” He greeted with a small wave of his hand. All thoughts were forgotten and stored for later. What Wei Ying needs to focus on is how to escape the Lan goat.

“Gongzi, I am certain I’ve never seen you before. You must be one of the guest disciples here,” Lan Qiren started, eyeing the white flowing robes Wei Ying is wearing, robes which are a little bit big. “But the embroidery on your robes, it’s like the exact design of my nephew’s.”

The grandmaster’s eyes transformed into a calculating gaze and Wei Ying is already hot on his feet, having a battle with himself.

“Shufu,”

Wei Ying’s ears almost perked up when a voice interrupted the whole moment.

Lan Xichen’s eyes slightly widened. Wei Ying and his uncle met. He knew it would’ve been inevitable but for it to happen this soon…

“Shufu, what is wrong? I thought there’s an urgent matter you need to attend to at Unclean Realm?” Lan Xichen tried to compose himself.

“Xichen, I was on my way but then I saw Wen-gongzi and this…having an unpleasant banter and in front of the wall of rules at that! Is this gongzi one of the disciples in our clan? I haven’t seen him before.”

“Shufu, it is best for you to embark now. Sect leader Nie must be waiting for your arrival, I will handle this.” Xichen chided.

Lan Qiren hesitantly looked at Xichen and stroking his long beard at the same time. And after some time, “I will leave the rest to you then,” The grandmaster left leaving Lan Xichen and the grumpy Wei Ying.

“A-Ying?” Lan Xichen saw how Wei Ying’s cheeks are puffed out. It is obvious that the jiaoren is…displeased.
“Xichen-ge, Am I,” Wei Ying hesitated for a moment.

Then abruptly continued, “Am I a man?” He asked, eyes glimmering with sadness.

The first jade of Lan gulped at the question thrown at him. How come Wei Ying has no idea about this?
“You didn’t know?” Lan Xichen asked, treading his words very carefully. “Those books you read before…”

Xichen almost wanted to smack himself when the puzzle clicked in. The books he’s been giving to Wei Ying were all romance books, light romance books to be exact. All of the characters there did not even pass the boundary of kissing. Lan Xichen never thought it will make Wei Ying this oblivious with things. Aside from that, the first jade of Lan absolutely wouldn’t allow a young man to read obscene and detailed books. He’s so protective of Wei Ying that he actually forgot to orient the jiaoren about certain facts.

Wei Ying was quiet the whole way back to the Jingshi. Lan Xichen, who offered to accompany him is also silent and was a comforting presence.

“Wangji-xiong, I’m begging you. This is the only time I will ask for a favor. Please, let me paint your lover!”

 Nie Huaisang’s voice is loud and persistent. He left his cowardice inside his room that morning and now he can face the cold second jade of Lan without stuttering, all for the name of beauty, since he’s a sucker for such.
Lan Wangji eyed the younger Nie, as if the boy had lost his mind. He swiftly exited the room when the lesson was done, he promised to have lunch with Wei Ying and his brother, but what he did not expect was a trembling disciple from Unclean Realm and sour-faced Jiang disciple blocking his way and following him all the way to the Jingshi, in hope to paint Wangji’s woman? They said.

“Move,” Lan Wangji looked coldly at the bowing disciple in front of him, preventing him from going to the Jingshi.

“Wangji-xiong, our brothers are friends, that makes us acquainted at some point. All this humble disciple asks is to capture the beauty of the maiden who captured me at first sight.” Nie Huaisang exaggeratedly exclaimed before Jiang Wanyin jabbed him at the side for being shameless.

“Wangji,”

“Lan Zhan?”

Both Wangji and the two persistent disciples looked towards the enchanting confused voice.

“M-my muse!” Nie Huaisang blurted out and made a step towards the extraordinary person. The next second Lan Wangji already got a hold of his robes and restricting him from advancing further to Wei Ying.

Jiang Wanyin just watched the whole thing play out.

“Lan Zhan?”

“Mn. I’m here Wei Ying.”

Extra scene: Wife

Wei Ying: Lan Zhan, am I your wife now?

Lan Zhan:

Wei Ying: I think I am your wife now. We kissed already and we shared the same bed and we live in the same house.

Lan Zhan: Wei Ying…sleep.

Wei Ying: I will sleep I promise. But tell me, am I Lan-er gege’s wife now? Hmm ~

Lan Zhan: …Mn

Wei Ying: I knew it. And Lan Zhan mphhhh…