Four

Alonzo Flemington

"Daddy!" Nya screamed from the porch watching me walk up the street. I waved at her, as she did the same. Rochelle stood up to make sure it was me before she let Nya run to me. I watched as her two little feet ran as fast as they could over to me, hugging onto my leg as soon as she finally made it.

"Hi baby!" I knelt down to her level and kissed her forehead. "I missed you!"

"I missed you more daddy! Look, mommy did my nails!" she flashed her little finger nails so I could see the pink glitter that covered them.

"That's pretty baby." I lifted her up and stood onto my feet, walking over to Rochelle. "How was she?"

"She was good as usual," Rochelle said, handing Nya's backpack to me.

"Daddy, why do you have lip gloss on?" my daughter looked at me sideways, and touched my lip; showing me the lip gloss on her finger. "Look!"

"Wow. I don't know how that got there." I used my thumb to wipe the rest off and looked up to see Rochelle looking at me with her arms folded. "What?"

"Who were you with Lonzo...?"

"None of your damn business..." I smirked and watched as Nya covered her mouth from hearing me curse. "I'm sorry baby!"

"You have to put money in the swear bucket!"

"Yes, I will I promise. Now say bye to your mother!"

"Bye mama!" Nya waved her hands and Rochelle blew her a kiss, without taking her eyes off me.

-

I didn't have much on me after my date but I promised to take Nya for some pizza and had to make the sacrifice. I ordered a slice of pepperoni and fruit punch for her, and another slice for myself then sat her in a booth. "The total is going to be 9.45" I nodded and reached into my pocket pulling out a couple bills. I only found a one dollar bill and a five. I looked up at the waitress that I was familiar with and she sighed. "Alonzo, you know I can't."

"Please, you know I will come back and pay for it. This is all I have on me right now."

"I can give you her slice for the five but I will have to take yours back."

I nodded and looked around at the people that were starting to look at me. "That's fine." I said handing the pizza back to her, and the five-dollar bill.

"Daddy, why aren't you eating?"

"I'm not hungry baby. You eat."

She nodded and stuffed her mouth with the pizza slice that was almost bigger than her head. I felt uncomfortable and couldn't wait to get out of this spot.

As the bus pulled up, I snuck onto the back since I didn't have enough and took a seat by the window. It was crowded enough for the driver not to notice, and at this point I didn't care about the eyes of those that were judging me for sneaking on. I held Nya in my lap and despite these unfortunate events I was probably in the best mood humanly possible after the way that date went. Getting to know CeeCee and the struggle she had been through made me feel so connected in ways I hadn't felt with any other girl. Just to finally have someone that understood! I rang the bell to our stop, and scooped Nya into my arms; exiting the bus.

"Yo Lonzo!" Eazy called from outside of the community centre. I hailed him up and the other guys.

"What's good?"

"You tell me, I saw you with some fine shawty earlier today!"

I chuckled, this guy saw everything! "You're too nosey bro."