Eighteen

Alonzo Flemington

While I was at the park I made sure I was still taking business calls and making moves, money had to be made. I met up with a couple people across the street while keeping Nya in my line of vision, and for extra security I asked one of those gossiping mothers to keep an eye on her for me. I knew this place was high-end and I wasn't worried about anything happening to her, but I couldn't help but be overprotective.

As I finished up my last sale for the day I made my way back over to the park. It seemed like the later it got, the more kids there were. I yawned, and looked at my watch. The sun was still out but it was getting late, and Nya was showing no sign of wanting to go home for now! This was the issue; every time she got here, I knew leaving would be a problem.
I walked around to the slide where I saw her climbing up. I cleared my throat to get her attention, and I watched as this little girl gave me the side eye then returned to what she was doing like I was invisible.

"Nya!" my voice was so stern that it caught the other children's attention. Nya turned to me and folded her arms as she slid back down the slide. "Yes daddy?" she said with her bottom lip pouted. I shook my head, this was not going to get to me this time. "Home time." A sigh escaped her lips and she dropped her arms to her side "please can we have five more minutes?!"

"Nah, not today baby. You had enough time." I looked at my watch then back down at her as she dramatically began to walk away. I knew this was her way of giving me attitude, but it was too cute to be mad at. "You'll survive." I said, as I walked behind her; she was silent now but when we got home it would be a whole different story. "Thanks for watching her for me." I said, waving at the group of mothers by the bench. They nodded and I continued to make my way out.

"She's the cutest." A voice said from ahead of me, I looked up to a see a short girl that was probably around my age; she had beautiful brown skin that caught my attention right away. I had to catch myself staring but what she had on, made looking away kind of hard. She stood in front of us wearing a sports bra and a pair of Nike Shorts, by the way the sweat dripped down her body I assumed that she was coming from a run. I wiped the sweat off my brow, trying my best not to stare at her for too long. She was breathtaking, someone that was good to look at. The girl crouched down to Nya's level and exposed a perfect smile. "Why is a beautiful girl like you pouting?"

"It's my daddy's fault!" Nya crossed her arms once again, then looked up at me with her face scrunched up like it would scare me. "Well that's not nice," the girl looked up at me as well with a smile. "You need to be nice to a princess like her."

"Yeah! What she said daddy!" Nya slapped my leg, and I rubbed the spot, pretending to be in pain. "I'm sorry daddy!" she rubbed her hand on top of mine and kissed the spot where she hit, hugging it as well. "It was on accident."

"Accidentally hitting me? Wow! I thought I was your best friend."

"You are!" she whined, tightening her hug around my leg. "Sorry daddy."

"I will only forgive you if you promise to not be mad at me anymore."

"I'm not mad! Promise." Nya looked up again and I reached down to pick her up. The girl stood up and took a sip from the water bottle she had in her hands. "Looks like problem is solved?"

"Looks like it," I kissed Ny's cheeks as I spoke before returning my attention back to her. "You live around here?"

"Yeah, been here for a couple years now actually. I know pretty much everyone in this area, your face isn't so familiar so you must be new."

"You're right, we just moved here about a week and a half ago."

"No wonder!" she nodded with another sip from her bottle. "Just a warning; the people are pretty stuck up but once you get used to them it won't bother you anymo−" she pulled her phone out of the arm band and pulled it up to her ear. I was about to keep it moving but she held her finger up, telling me to wait. "Hey baby, I was just thinking about you. What did you want me to make for dinner?" she nodded as if the person on the other end could see her, I examined her finger and saw a ring that was so big that I couldn't believe I missed it the first time; what the hell... she was so young! I shook my head, I couldn't imagine ever being married as yet; I loved being held down but wasn't ready for that kind of commitment. "Alright sounds good to me. Give me a call before you leave the hospital okay? ... Alright, I love you Anthony." She blew kisses into the phone and tucked it back into the arm band. "Sorry about that, like I was saying; don't let the people fool you, this is a very friendly area and I am sure you are going to end up loving it."