Ten

Alonzo Flemington

The Uber took the long way home; giving me a tour of this area in broad daylight. It was better than what I remembered from yesterday evening. The sun just made everything look bigger than I had thought it was. I loved a few; I took a mental notes of the homes that I would want my future one to look like when I get a job in the medical field. I saw luxury cars, race cars, even a motorcycle or two that really caught my eye. I was literally gawking as I looked through the window at everything. This was the life. As we pulled onto the highway I felt my head begin to throb and the headache sneak back in, I rolled down the window and leaned back in my seat trying to relax away the pain. "Everything okay boss?" the driver asked, looking at me through his rear view mirror.

"Yeah, just a little hung over." I said through my teeth, rubbing my temples. "Do you mind if I smoke in here?"

"Only if you got one for me." He said with a chuckle.

"I got you man." I dug into my pocket and opened up the box of cigarettes; luckily I had two left. I handed him one and placed the other between my lips. I found my lighter and lit it, before handing the lighter to him.

"Thanks man."

I blew a cloud of smoke out of the window I had open, and leaned back, letting it relax me. For the rest of the ride I kept calm and finished up my cigarette, chucking it through the window.

The car pulled off the highway and into my neighborhood and I picked my phone up from my lap and gave CeeCee a call, the phone rang for a few rings until I heard her pick up. "Hello?"

"Hey, where are you? I'm almost home."

"I'm here, waiting outside your building."

"Sounds good, see you soon." I clicked the phone off and pushed it back into my pocket.

We pulled up in front of my building within minutes and she was the first thing I had seen. From her demeanor, I could see that something was seriously off. CeeCee stood in the front; pacing back and forth. "Thanks man." I said to my driver, as I opened up the door and jumped out. I sped up and walked over to her, the moment she saw me she threw her body into mine; wrapping her arms around me. "Finally!" she said, whining into my chest. "You took so long!"

"I'm sorry, I was coming from pretty far." I rubbed her back for comfort, until she pulled away and looked at me. "How are you feeling?" I asked, searching in my pocket for my key.

"A little shaky still, but better now that you're here."

"I'm glad I could make a difference." I opened up the door and held it for her to walk in, she stepped in front of me and I followed behind her then went towards the elevator, clicking the up button. The sound of the historic elevator caught Cee's attention, causing her eyes to get big.

"Is there a stair case we can use?" she asked in a low mumble.

"Don't worry, it's old but still gets us there." I nudged her a bit and she let out a little giggle before her face went serious again. "What's the sunglasses for? You know the sun is outside right?"

"Yeah..." she trailed off and looked away from me, pushing the sunglasses up on her face. Before I could say something the elevator came, a couple emptied out and we got in and I hit the number two. The red light behind it flickered and I smirked to myself; this place really was getting old.

The elevator shook and squealed, bringing us up to the second floor. I could hear Cee exhale as a sigh of relief when the elevator doors flew open, she nearly ran out which caused me to laugh out loud. I walked her down the hall to my apartment and stuck my key in the lock, wiggling it until it opened up. I knew I hadn't let the place in good shape, but with this headache I was dealing with; I didn't care too much. I threw my key onto the counter and gestured for Cee to make her way in. I watched as she hesitated then walked into the living room, taking a seat on the couch. I opened up a drawer in the kitchen and pulled out a fresh pack of Marlboro, I took out one and stuck it between my lips, and tucked another behind my ear. "Would you like a drink or anything?" I called out while opening up my cupboard. "No thank you," she answered, which was better for me because none of the good glasses were washed anyway. I shut the cupboard and walked into the living room, where I took a seat next to her.