1. Just Try

This chapter is dedicated to jlbellla & Fafa for their constant support!!

Alonzo Flemington

"I'm not ready." I explained to Simone as she dried her damp hair while she lectured me about getting out of the house more. The only reason I was paying such close attention to her lecture in the first place was because of the short satin dress she was walking around the house in. I kept warning her, but it seemed as if she was trying to see what I would do to her if she kept playing with me.

I had been out for a good week and a half now, and I spent all of the days inside watching either the score or Netflix series until she came home from her long shifts.

I was trying my best to get into the hang of being on the outside but it was a lot harder than I expected it to be. Five years in confinement was actually crazy once you thought about it; I came out to new trends, new slangs, the places I was used to were either knocked down or in the process of being knocked down. It was culture shock to me, and Simone didn't understand that.

"Well you never know if you don't try," she said plopping down on the couch next to me, she swung her legs onto my lap and looked my way, I already knew she wanted a foot massage. "I'm really worried about you. Since you've been here; you haven't made a single call to one of your friends." She spoke once I began rubbing her toes.

"That's because I have no friends, I was locked away and you were the only one that came to visit me. That speaks volumes Simone."

"C'mon Alonzo, you know how your friends are when it comes to the law. Were you really expecting them to come to a jailhouse? That would be endangering themselves; half of them have damn warrants. I'm sure if they could've been there, they would've."

"Could've, would've, should've. It's too late for all that. Now I know."

"Ugh. Nothing I say gets through to you."

"Why do you want me to go out so badly? I've been here a week and you want me to go already?"

"You know that's not what I am saying Lonzo. I just don't like to see you cooped up all day, moping around the house. You're a free man and you should celebrate that; in fact I think you should take Ben up on that offer and go out with him tonight."

"Definitely not." I spat out, just before we heard the jingling of keys at her front door. Speak of the devil, I thought to myself. Simone pulled her legs out of my lap swifter than ever, as Ben walked in with a pile of mail in his hands. "You're going to live long." I mumbled loud enough for him to look away from the mail and up at the both us sitting on the couch in front of the TV.

"What was that?" he asked, setting the pile onto the table, he glanced at the both of us then made his way over and kissed Simone on her head; without breaking eye contact with me.

Ben was a surprise to me, Simone had explained that she couldn't put it in a letter because it was too special and she wanted to wait to tell me in person. The day I got out I had to listen to a lecture about how they met and how he treated her like gold, and blah blah blah blah. You know, that romantic bs that was way too good to be true.

Before I had left, I don't know why I thought Simone and I could've had something but it was clear that I was wrong. I had feelings for the girl, and wouldn't deny it but I respected her choice and what she now wanted in life and after meeting Ben I could say he really wasn't that bad. We had a lot of differences but as far as I have seen; he is a pretty cool guy. I was god at reading people and the way he treated Simone was enough for me to approve of him getting married to her. From what I could see, she was happy and as long as she was; so was I.