Six

Alonzo Flemington
Nya was plopped in front of the TV, as I paced the floors of my apartment. I couldn't wrap my head around why exactly my mother would do such a thing to me. After all I had done for her, the moment my dad passed I was willing to give her the world. Regardless of how bad she was or how she treated me, I made sure she was good at the end of the day. But for her to do this to me? I slapped my hand against the wall with the thought of it, and watched as Nya jumped spilling the bowl of chips in front of her. "I'm sorry baby! I saw a spider!" Her eyes were wide and I could tell that I had really frightened her. "Just watch your show Nya!" I yelled.

I continued to pace the floors as if it could do anything to change this situation, or the way I was feeling. All of that money I had saved away, for rent, to put food in my child's mouth; what was I going to do now?!

"Daddy. I want to go to mommy's house." Nya said, breaking my train of thought. I looked over at her as she held a chip to her lips.

"Why? Don't you want to stay with daddy?"

"No daddy, you're being scary..." her voice was so gentle, but I could hear the fear.

"I'm sorry. I just have a lot going through my head. I promise I won't be scary anymore okay?"

She shook her head and I watched as she used her arm to wipe her nose "I want my mommy."

"Fine!" I yelled loud, and slammed my hand against the wall again. "Get up!" she looked over at me and began to cry, and at this moment it did nothing but get on my last nerve. "Shut up Nya! There's nothing wrong with you, I don't see why you're crying. You want to go to your mom? Then let's go!" she got up, and walked over to her room sniffling.

I grabbed my phone and dialed Rochelle's number as I followed behind her and began to fill up her back pack that was laying on the ground. "Lonzo?" Rochelle said over the phone.

"I need to bring Nya back over there."

"Why do you sound like that? Is everything okay?"

"A lot just went down, and she wants to stay with you right now. Do you mind if I bring her?"

"Well, I'm not home now. I'm by my family's house for the week..." the line grew silent and I heard her mumble under her breath "they live kind of far out. I don't know if you would mind coming and bringing her here?"

"How far?" I asked, overstuffing the backpack.

"About an hour. The bus doesn't really run around these ends. It's a bit high end."

I groaned, realizing at this point I didn't have a dollar to my name, "I have no money Ro. Is there anyway you can call me a cab and I give you the money back when I get it?"

"Ugh Lonzo, you need to be more responsible! How can you take care of our daughter and never have any money? I thought you said you got this?"

"Please Rochelle!" I raised my voice enough for her to stop, "this really isn't the time!"

"Fine. I will get you an Uber and text you the address."

"Thank you." I clicked off the phone, slid it back into my pocket and looked down to see Nya just watching me. Her finger was in her mouth, and the tears had dried against her face. I wanted to comfort her so badly but I was just too angry for that at the moment. I walked out of the room and made another call to Eazy this time. "Yo, what's up?"

"I need back in."

"Calm down fam, what's the issue?"

"Nah there's no calming down!" my voice carried and for a second I forgot who I was talking to. "Yo my bad."