17. We Are Not Friends

Alonzo Flemington

Five Months Later

"Babe, let me see the place now!" Sam yelled on facetime as I entered our brand-new home. I placed my box of clothes onto the floor and looked around, smiling to myself. I had been working on it for a couple of weeks, hooking up the cable and stuff just to make it homier. However, no matter how many time I came here, it still amazed me that this was all mine.

Sam hadn't seen it yet and I was trying to keep it as a surprise until she got back. I wanted to make sure everything was perfect for her, because quite frankly... she deserved it. We grew a lot closer over the past few months, and despite what I expected she stuck by me through it all. I was dealing with so much stress; I had to get my life in order. Chris' passing was taking a big toll on me. I was working crazy hours at work and my lawyer was on my ass about getting a home for Nya to return to.

Since Nya had been taken away while in Rochelle's presence, I was filing for sole custody. I wanted her to myself, and wouldn't stop until I got her. Seeing her once in a while at Ro's wasn't enough for me, I felt uneasy seeing how off she felt being here, like a fish out of water and I wanted to build that relationship with her again; I wanted her to know that she is safe with me and nothing like this would ever happen to her again.

I had that to deal with and I knew I had to pull it together for Nya, Sam and my unborn child's sake, so thankfully, Charlotte helped me out with the funds, allowed me to buy one of her cars from her and linked me up with her real estate agent and here I am today; opening the doors to my dream home. One, a guy like me would never think they could get. Things were finally looking up and to be quite frank; it was about damn time. Don't you think?

"Well maybe if you brought your sexy self back down here, you could see it for yourself."

"I am coming soon!" she whined. "You know I have to handle some last-minute things before I can officially move out there."

"Well, how long do you need woman?" I stepped out of my shoes and locked the door behind me. Downstairs came fully furnished, as well as the master, it was just the guest rooms and offices that we had to spruce up and make our own.

"You miss me?"

"Nah, I miss my baby! I hate that I'm missing all the appointments while you're down there."

"I know," she pouted and propped her phone up so I could see her stomach. Sam was a pretty fit girl, so the little bump wasn't as evident to those that didn't know, she just looked like she had a good meal. "She misses her daddy too." She announced before sitting back down in the hotel she was staying in since she had finally sold her condo. "How's it been spending time with Nya?"

"He!" I walked through the empty home, listening to the echo of my voice. "And... it's different, I am happy to see her and all but I feel so out of place. So much has changed, and I have so much to learn about her. she doesn't like the same things anymore... she's all grown up now." I sighed, "Anyways, this place is so nice. I wish you could see it."

"It's going to be alright like I told you. You're strong, you'll get through this. And Zo, stop playing. Flip the camera around so I can see!"

"I don't know if you're ready."

"Babbbby!"

"It's too damn nice."

"Iight then, bet. I won't allow you to see the ultrasound pictures from today, since you want to play games."

"Alright chill ma." I flipped the camera around and walked around the place. I started in the foyer, moved to the den, living room, kitchen, the laundry area that was closed off and the two offices. I opened the sliding door and stood inside as I showed her the pool and the backyard space.