Welcome Back

Part TWO to Keeping Secrets

5 Years Later

Dr. Simone Smith

"I love everything about you baby." My fiancé left kisses against my skin before he laid his head on the pillow next to mine. My lips parted into a small smile and he pulled me close to him, I ran my thumb against his chiseled jaw as I gazed into his light blue eyes that were so easy to get lost in. I place his hand on top of mine and brought it to his lips, kissing it softly. "I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you." I watched as he brought my hand up to the little bit of light that flowed through my bedroom window, the ring on my left hand glistened, it's size; big enough to catch anyone's attention.

"I can't wait either." I glanced at the ring before bringing my attention back to him, I leaned into his body until I let sleep take over.

-

I slowly pried my way out of his arms, walking into my adjoined bathroom. Once I locked the door, I sat in my dim bathroom, the light from the sun rise; peaked under the crack of the door. I wiped away the warm tears that streamed down my face, dialing the password to check my voicemail. I pressed the phone against my ear and brought my knees up to chest, the sound of my father's voice made the water works pour even more than they were before. It seemed as if I hadn't seen him in forever, trying to juggle my promotion as the chief of general surgery, planning a wedding and making time to keep my fiancé happy; it was hard to drive half way across the city to see him.

After listening; I attempted to dial his number back, I knew it was early but today I needed to hear his voice. I took a deep breath and as my finger hung over the green call button I heard a knock on the bathroom door. Ugh! I locked the phone and pushed it into my bra, turning off the tap that I was using to drown out my sobs. "Babe, is everything okay in there?" I heard; coming from the other side of the bathroom door. I stood up fixing my clothes, and wiping away my last tears.

"Yes baby, just give me one second." I jumped to the sound of the door knob wiggling and I heard him groan against the door. "Simone, what did I say about locking the door?" I rushed over to it; opening it as I placed a big fake smile on my fast.

"Sorry babe. I forgot."

"After two year, you're still forgetting?" he pushed past me and made his way into the bathroom, putting up the toilet seat and working his pajama pants down. "What time is it?" he said with a yawn, as he used the bathroom.

"6:00," I said reading the time on my watch. "What time do you have work?"

"Why? Trying to get rid of me?" he flushed the toilet and washed his hands, wiping them against his pants. "I have work at 8, and I'm working a double so I'm going to stay by my place tonight."

"Aw." I faked a pout, and moved out of the way so he could walk past me again. "Yeah. I'll come by tomorrow though. We could do something with your parents, your dad's been on my case about keeping you away from him." He said.

"That sounds like a good idea... but there is one thing." I walked into the room and sat on the bed, crossing my legs. "Remember I told you I was picking up my friend Alonzo today, he's being released and is going to spend some time over here until he gets back on his feet."

"That guy that's been writing you those letters from jail, right?" I nodded, and watched his facial expression grow cold as he changed back into his blue police uniform. He clenched his jaw, and let out a sigh. "Only for a few weeks. I don't like the idea of another man living with my woman."

"Alonzo isn't like that at all, how many times do I have to tell you that we are just best friends?"

"And how many times do I have to tell you that I don't trust you around other men." He buttoned up his shirt and made his way over to my side of the bed, where he placed his lips against mine forcefully. I closed my eyes and counted in my head, waiting for the kiss to be over. As he broke the kiss he looked me in the eyes, intensely. "Like a said; a few weeks." He ran his thumb over my lips, "now go in the bathroom and fix yourself up baby girl." I nodded, and didn't waste anytime. Heading into the bathroom.