10. I'm Sorry

Alonzo Flemington

"First day complete!" Charlotte yelled while closing the door and everyone cheered. I was exhausted. We served every single customer that lined up out there and sold out of almost everything. Thankfully, Charlotte was a smart business woman and made sure she had enough in stock so everyone went home satisfied. I had to take my hat off to her, it was clear that today was a success.

Some of her employees sat on the ground, rubbing their feet while other began sweeping up and getting the place back in order for tomorrow. I leaned against the counter of the cash register and yawned. "Tired?" Tamara, one of the cashiers asked as she calculated her sales. The whole time I had been flirting with me, I was too busy keeping an eye out that I didn't get the chance to take in her appearance. I was amazed, but I reminded myself not to get caught up; plus, she wasn't really my type. I wasn't a fan of girls that played too hard to get.

"Yeah." I answered, "glad this days over."

"You and I both!" she hit a button on her computer and the till flew open, exposing a crazy amount of bills, she pulled them out and pushed them into a big envelope, passing it over to Skye who stood next to her tallying everything up. "Any plans for the night?" she asked me.

"I plan to make love to my bed." I heard her smirk. "How about you?" I asked in return.

"I plan to go home to my daughter and my husband. I haven't seen them all day."

"Oh, you're married!" I looked down to her finger, not seeing a ring. I met her eyes and she started laughing. "Char doesn't want us to wear a ring at work, she wants us to have that fun, young and single image."

"I see." I said with a slight nod. No wonder flirting with her was so hard. "How old is your daughter?"

"She's 5, and seems to be growing too quickly."

"I bet, that's how kids are."

"Oh, you have kids?"

"No... I don't..." Nya crossed my mind, I totally forgot to ask Alex for Rochelle's information earlier. I would have to find a way to get it because I was dying to see her. I knew how much Nya loved Christmas, I hoped that she still had the same love for it. I didn't have much back then but having her around was all I really needed.

"13 million dollars!" Skye shouted out, waving the long receipt in her hands. "Congratulations!" the whole shop roared as everyone started clapping and screaming. The DJ played congratulations by Post Malone and I don't know where Eazy got a bottle of champagne from but he popped it open, pouring it all over Charlotte. She was a good sport about it though, she danced to the music and grabbed the bottle from him, drinking whatever was left in it.

I clapped for her, I was never a hater; she didn't start from the bottom but this was still a big deal for her and I could tell she was extremely happy. They started popping more bottles and Skye and Tamara went around the back to get cups. I knew this was my cue to leave.

I signed out and took the headset out of my ear, putting it on the charger. I spun around the head to the exit but I was cornered by Charlotte. "Leaving so early?" she asked, holding out a cup for me. I shook my head and gently pushed it back. "I'm too tired."

"Don't turn down a drink from your boss, it's impolite."

"Sorry, but I have to be impolite today."

"Fine, by the way; I haven't posted the new schedule yet. You are working tomorrow night 3-10." She placed the cups down onto a shoe shelf then reached behind her pocket handing me an envelope. "Most of these guys get direct deposit to their accounts and I know you don't have one set up yet.