House Colours and Broom Cupboard Encounters

The following day I made my way to the Slytherin table in the great hall. I sat down next to Cecilia and Iphigenia, who were talking and giggling - I filled them in on my prank from yesterday.

"You give them too much power, Zeph. They're not worth your trouble," Cecilia said, glancing at the Gryffindor table.

"Yeah!" Responded Iphy, "what happened to 'I'd never be seen talking to those ginger twits'." She said this whilst imitating my matter-of-fact voice. Cecilia and her started hooting with laughter and it made me scowl. Just as I did they stopped and looked at me with their eyes wide.

"What?" I asked curiously.

"Ummm," Iphy said, unsure how to respond.

"Well - " tried Cecilia.

Just then I heard a cackle erupt from the Gryffindor table, people were looking over at me and pointing. It spread around the hall and soon everyone was looking and laughing.

"For fucks sake. Tell me what happened!" I practically yelled at the two girls opposite me. Both were trying to stifle their own laughter, which reminded me that although we shared a dorm, none of us were really friends.

"Your hair," Cecilia managed to wheeze.

I pulled my hair in front of my face and stared at it. It was bright red on one side and gold on the other, cut straight through my parting. I cursed loudly and stood up.

~Fred~

Zephyra made her way out the hall and I watched her go. People were laughing and, catching her eye, I could see her fury. 

"That was bloody brilliant," George said next to me. I laughed and pushed him jovially.

"It won't be brilliant when she hexes or curses us next time she sees us."

"How did you do it?" Asked Lee Jordon, sitting opposite.

"Just a little something in her pumpkin juice," I responded, a grin making its way onto my face.

Lee nodded enthusiastically, clearly impressed. 

"Oh I can't wait to see her face in potions later!" George laughed.

____

Later that day in potions, Zephyra came in - her hair had paled slightly, as she'd clearly tried to spell the colour away, but it only faded.

As she entered many of the Gryffindors laughed openly. That is until Zephy gave them a stern glance which made them quieten immediately. She certainly had a terrifying glare when she wanted. If I didn't dislike her so much I might have found it impressive.

I watched as she stalked over to me and I let a small smile appear on my face, making her eyes flash with irritation.

"Love the new look. Looks very good on you - almost as good as pink," I said, teasingly. 

She pulled a face at my words. "Very funny. But I'm just showing support for the worst Hogwarts house. Merlin knows they need it - comprising only vermin and idiots."

I scoffed but she continued this time with a slight smile, "it surprised me to no end that you two don't support Gryffindor..."

"What do you mean?" George said beside me.

"I mean, I've seen the state of your dorm."

Without another word she prowled off, taking her seat. I looked at George bewildered.

___

As soon as class ended I raced with George back to the Gryffindor tower, climbing the stairs to our door three steps at a time. Once we entered it was immediately clear what Zephy had been referring to.