Back to the Start

~Fred~

"We need a revolt," I said to George, falling beside him with a thunk. We were in the passageway behind the one eyed witch portrait. 

"It's getting out of hand," he agreed, panting slightly.

We'd just outrun a group of Inquisitorial Squad members, who were trying to catch us and force us into detention - but now, with little need to play by the rules - they were casting offensive spells, the kind that would have landed them in detention if Dumbledore was Headmaster.

It was true that since Dumbledore left, everything had intensified. Umbridge's Inquisitorial Squad were handing out Orders at will, forcing half the school into detentions on a semi-regular basis. 

"Yes. I think we're in need of some proper mayhem."

***

The plan was a difficult one. We had to have a detonating system that could be activated at precisely the right moment. All around the school there had to be fireworks going off - if they happened one at a time they could be dealt with easily, but all together... 

We wanted Umbridge to be forced from her office and as she left more exploded in her face - they would follow her down the hall, more exploding around her with each step. 

It was a combination of every product we'd created. The fireworks were such complicated magic and charms that trying to disable them would be difficult for even Flitwick to manage - or at least that was the hope. 

"Adjusting the oak seed concentration in this could increase its longevity," Zephy said to George. 

She'd noticed us working and was helping. Her and George had been close when we were together but after the incident with mum they hadn't spoken as much. I wasn't sure if they'd talked about it or they simply decided to move on but they talked together in the same way as they always had. 

I, for one, was struggling. There was something undeniably attractive about Zephy and pranks combined. Seeing her use her big brain for this... well I guess I was scrambling a little. 

She wasn't aware of the magnitude of the prank, however, and I knew that if I told her it might open a can of worms, namely that George and I didn't expect to finish the year. I wasn't sure how she'd react to that. Would she be upset?

I wasn't sure what that meant for us. I hoped I'd be with her again before I left but now we were running out of time. George said I should talk to her and maybe that was the only thing for it. 

"Zephy?" I said, causing her to look up from George's notebook. "Can we have a chat? Like, in private." My eyes shifted to George who seemed to understand immediately. 

"Yeah - sure, yeah," she replied, looking nervous at the odd request. 

She followed me as I stood, walking to the nook halfway up the boys dormitory staircase. 

"You know we're planning something," I stated. 

"I guess," she shrugged.

"It's going to be big. Really big. We're going to keep doing stuff to piss off Umbridge until..."

She shifted her hair out of her face, her blue eyes searing into mine. "Until what?" She asked, carefully guarded.

I shuffled my feet slightly, knowing that this was the moment.

"Until we go so far that she'd be forced to expel us, then we'll drop out."

She blinked at me, her face flashing through emotions quicker than I could identify before settling back into a placid frown.