Plans Fail.

~Zephryra~

I was back in my room in Malfoy Manor. I lay on my bed reading and trying to ignore the anxiety that had been plaguing me since I returned. The house had always been dark but now it felt cold, like death itself. I could almost feel a constant sense of being watched. Constant goosebumps. And a constant nagging in my head telling me to run. I'd only been back a day but it already felt like an age.

I closed my eyes and tried to calm myself. I thought of The Burrow. Sitting in the squishy sofa, drinking a cup of tea. Frost coating the flowers and grass outside. And of course, Fred. I could remember him coming downstairs - those stupid pickup lines! In my mind he sat opposite me, placing his freezing feet under my legs and causing me to shriek from the cold. I thought about gentle kisses, the comforting smell of wet wool and gingerbread. 

A bang sounded from downstairs and then there were footsteps on the stairs.

"Zephyra, can you come downstairs for a moment?" Mother asked.

I scurried off my duvet, putting on some soft, black velvet shoes. My heart was in my throat as I made my way downstairs. The brief sense of calm I had from thinking about The Burrow was gone.

"Love, I need you to be good. Everything will be fine," mother said as I met her on the stairs. I don't think I'd ever heard something less reassuring. 

Father was waiting in the hall, looking nervous. He was standing in front of the doors to the dining room, fidgeting with his hands in anticipation. 

"Okay, darling," he said. And I nodded, unsure what I was agreeing to or doing.

The doors opened on their own and my parents walked in front of me, sweeping into the room a few meters before stopping and bowing/curtsying deeply.

The dining room had high ceiling and windows, making it almost look like a chapel. The glass was tinted a slight green, reminding me of the Slytherin common room and the murky views of the Black Lake. In the centre was a long table. It was made of black marble, with sharp edges and a glossy surface.

We didn't tend to eat here unless it was a special occasion. It had no soul. And although it looked like some dingy chapel, it certainly held no semblance of spirit.

I looked up at who they were greeting and I wish I hadn't. Sitting on the chair at the far end of the room was a monster. His skin was smooth and pale, eyes red, mouth wide. He looked like a snake.

In my daze I realised I hadn't curtsied, so I walked forward attempting to look confident, despite never feeling less in my life. 

I curtsied low, head bowed. If this was who I thought it was, I decided I should stay in the curtsy until asked to stand - that is what the etiquette I'd learned said to do when greeting 'extreme superiors' as they put it. 

I could feel Lord Voldemort's eyes on me. I stayed as still as I could, praying he couldn't see the slight shaking of my hands.

"Stand," he said in a soft voice. I did as I was told, looking back at the man (was he a man? He looked like a snake) who was surveying me. "Come closer, dear."

The endearment made me feel slightly sick but I continued to do as he wanted. Meanwhile, my mind was racing. Why was Lord Voldemort in Malfoy Manor? Was he staying here? What did that mean for me?

"How old are you, Ms Malfoy?"

"Seventeen, my Lord."

He smiled at my address. It was a wicked thing, filled with sharp teeth and thin lips. His smile reminded me of an animal about to strike.