The Prank

~Zephyra~

The next few weeks was a continuous back and forth between Fred and George and me. It went like this:

I transformed their robes, so that they had crop tops and their trousers were now very short shorts. This landed them in detention but not before they'd shown off to everyone, acting like it was their idea and flaunting themselves in front of all the Gryffindor girls.

They told a house elf to bring me a glass of milk at the start of every class. It was a little amusing at first but the moment people caught on to the fact I was being served milk at every class I started being called 'Slythermilk Zephy', which was not amusing. It wasn't even a good pun. It took over a week for that to stop.

I charmed a trumpet to follow them round and play a fanfare every 10 minutes or so. Similar to the milk prank, they found it amusing at first, standing up and bowing each time it played. Eventually, it began to annoy them, especially since they couldn't stop it even at night. George had even tried hexing the little trumpet but the spell had ricochet and almost hit him. Flitwick managed to get it to stop during charms.

They charmed my broom during a fun quidditch practice (matches had been stopped for the Triwizard Tournament but we still would do occasional practices anyway). It started to fly in a ragged figure of eight, slowly getting faster and faster. Eventually I had to jump from my broom and let another player catch me.

I bewitched their quills to tickle them during potions.

They charmed my tie to come undone every 5 minutes.

I stuck them to the bench in the great hall.

They charmed the stairs to never let me go to the astronomy tower so I missed an entire lesson.

On and on and on it went. Τhe Yule ball was at Christmas, meaning it was only a week away and I was at a loss in how to completely ruin them, we were neck a neck and it was hard to think of anything else to do.

"Dray," I asked my brother - we were sitting by the fire in the common room, having been in silence until that point. "What would you do as a prank to end all pranks?"

Draco looked entirely unbothered as he said, "hex them."

"Without violence?"

"Make them fail class."

"They're already failing class."

He looked up at me then, grey eyes levelling mine as he scowled. 

"Don't you think it's unseemly to be doing this sort of thing?" He asked.

He wasn't wrong. If it had been Draco who'd started a prank war with Harry, I would have thought it juvenile. People had picked up on mine and the Weasley's battle after noticing all the stuff going on at meals and in lessons, so it was quite obvious.

"Perhaps," I said evenly. 

"Then why are you doing it? It's drawing attention. You hate attention."

"I don't think it'll cause any harm. They're just dumb pranks, no one will remember it," I told him.

He stared at me for a moment before lowering his gaze. "I just don't want you getting hurt." 

I nodded, even though he was no longer watching.

Draco and I had an understanding - we kept to ourselves but we would help each other when we could. I disagreed with him often about things lately, he was too conscious of appearances to question the meaning of the upcoming war, and was therefore doing and saying things I wouldn't - but, as I said to Harry, Ron and Hermione, he was a child.