Another Start

~Zephyra~

Zephyra Malfoy was dead. Or at least that's what the media thought. Killed by one of the mobs enthused by Rita Skeeter's article. 

In reality, I was alive and well. Fred was lying next to me in the comfiest bed in the world, all white linen and too many pillows. I traced the freckles on his exposed back for a while, taking in the most beautiful person I knew. Then, I stood up and glanced out the window. 

It was already light and warm outside, the sun reflecting off the hot sand and making it feel obnoxiously bright. 

I felt a little bad that I hadn't ventured very far from the air conditioned house we'd been placed in but neither Fred nor I could be assed to go out much. 

We'd made our bubble of safety and neither wanted to pop it. It had been three weeks since we'd been moved to a safe house in Australia. Three weeks of bliss. 

The article had been a brilliant cover for my death and in a few months I'd reappear, this time with polyjuice potion in my system.

 Fred had been all too willing to come with me for my months of hiding and it was doing him a world of good. He was starting to recover from everything. Starting to feel more human. His laughter was uncovering some of its previous limitless.

I loved him. 

He'd not been happy at first. No one had. Sirius had yelled the house down when Severus had suggested I go undercover. Remus had looked pale. George took me aside and reminded me that I couldn't leave Fred again - I assured him I wouldn't, not ever. 

I'd agreed.

The role we'd come up for myself wasn't high risk - nothing like Severus'. It was simply about gaining intel on which families were involved and that sort of thing. I would be placed with a family in France that I remembered hearing about but never meeting, some distant relative no one's ever met - and secretly friendly with the Order. From there we'd move to England as a family and go to pureblood parties, gatherings etc. and I would collect intel - anything too dangerous I'd promised not to undertake.

It had the added bonus, of course, of allowing me access to my family, my brother especially. 

I'd asked Severus (begged really) for him to tell Draco of the plan, I couldn't make him think he lost me, it would be too cruel. 

It was the first time Severus had revealed his alliance to anyone with a Dark Mark. Sirius and Remus had been against it, as was most of the Order. Myself, Dumbledore and Severus said we thought Draco would never put me in harms way, but it was only when Harry agreed with us that the others had come around.

If anything, the undercover work was a step back from active fighting of the war. It was useful, obviously. And could lead to many crucial allies, but it wasn't having a wand in your hand and fighting.

In the weeks we'd been here Fred agreed to take a step back from field work too. He was going to focus on creating defensive devices with George, producing things that could protect everyday witches and wizards.

We'd talked and talked and decided our priority was making it out of this alive, and frankly, we were fitting into roles which seemed perfect for us. For me a pureblood spy and for him an inventor. Safe, but useful to the Order.

"When we get married can I have a cake made of cheese?" I asked. 

Fred grumbled, barely awake. "Sure."

"What about a chocolate fountain?"

"Mmhmm," he said sleepily. 

"And will you wear the wedding dress?"