The Labyrinth

~Zephyra~

"Sirius, I could throttle you. Stop singing!" I yelled.

"Doben do dobe dobenum do and here I am. The only living boy in New York..." he sang. 

"Those aren't even the words," I groaned, "it's and here you are."

Sirius stopped. Staring at me with wide eyes. It was unsettling to look at him this closely now. His skin hung off him and his eyes seemed too far back in his skull - we were both so thin it was terrifying. It didn't stop him from looking irritated and confounded, though. 

"No it's not!" He said, outraged. 

"It is!" 

"It bloody well isn't."

"You don't even like Simon and Garfunkel!" I shouted, causing the man in the corner to let out a mumble of quiet, silence, death, despair, as he pulled on the ropes holding his arms - he was a real fun guy, I'm sure he'd be wonderful at a party...

"Neither do you!" 

"I think this is why cellmates kill each other," I bemoaned, slumping back against the wall.

~Fred~ 

Was I scared? Yes. Was I really fucking exhausted? Yes. Did I feel almost giddy with synthetic enthusiasm? Sure. 

But it would be fine! Fine! 

Nothing could possible go wrong! It's not like last time anyone broke into the ministry Sirius and Zephy were trapped, Ginny injured, Ron injured, Tonks injured...

No. We'd be fine. 

Remus led the way out of the lift on the correct floor. He'd been here before, but I hadn't. I tried not to feel the way the chill crept beneath my skin or the echoing of our footsteps rattled my skull. 

It held a sort of denseness, like the air itself was weighed down by the thick secrets held within. The Department of Mysteries was somewhere I never wished to enter again. 

We entered a room and within was a large circular hall. The walls were home to over a hundred doors, which spun the moment we entered. Trying to find the door we'd come through would be damn near impossible. 

"The compass," Remus said quietly. 

I pulled it out and whispered Zephyra's name to the small device. It spun for a moment before pointing, and we followed the arrow with a misguided eagerness.

"Ready," Remus whispered, hand on the doorknob. I nodded, the air sticking in my dry throat. 

Carefully, Remus pushed open the door. Inside there was a thick brown mist and it was hot, like a sauna and damp smelling.

"Lumos," Remus said, trying to see what was within the humid room. 

"Zephy?" I called. There was no reply. 

We walked into the room and the mist stuck to us, condensing on our skin and dripping down our backs. 

"Lumos maxima," I said, adding to the light from Remus' wand. A few doors on the wall fell into view and I reached for the compass again, repeating the steps. It pointed further into the room and we trod carefully forward. 

A sound like the clicking someone makes in the back of their throat began and become louder as we walked further into the dank air. 

Remus yelped as he stepped in a bucket filled with water and he sprung back raising his wand and squinting into the mist. Still, nothing appeared.