He's back

~Zephyra~

It didn't take long for all of my Gryffindor friends to find out what had happened. The next time I saw Ron, Harry and Hermione across the Great Hall at lunch they looked at me strangely. Ginny had looked murderous. George looked confused and sad. Fred didn't look at all.

I felt low. I can't describe it another way, just low.

Ron, Harry and Hermione had come up to speak with me after dinner one evening and I sat with them in the one-eyed witch passage.

"I can't believe it. You were so happy. What went wrong?" Hermione asked.

I don't want to lie or say what I said to Fred again, so I simply shook my head, looking at her imploringly. 

"I'm selfish. I can't tell you everything but I had good reasons. Doesn't make up for anything though," I say softly, "do you hate me?"

"No," Ron said firmly, "Fred was shit at the beginning and you gave him a chance that frankly he didn't deserve. But your relationship with my brother has no bearing on our relationship with you. We were friends before him and we'll be friends after."

I let out a breath. I thought he was wrong though, Fred did deserve a chance, he'd more than made up for the prank even if Ron didn't know it. 

"We're not taking your side or anything. We're not taking sides at all - he is my brother," he explained. 

I nodded, the last thing I'd want to do was ruin their relationship. I breathed out and pulled myself together. 

"Do you need any help with the last task. Not long now is it?" It was only a month away on the 24th of June.

The three of them were happy to change the conversation, sensing it was what I needed. They accepted and thanked me for the offer, so that's what I did. That's what I did for essentially the entire next month. I had exams but not important ones, so I had the time to teach Harry spells and help with research.

I like to think I was an asset to them, as I had two years worth of spells that they hadn't learnt.

Of course, it was all secret. A fact I'd overheard Fred complain about when I sneaked into the Gryffindor dorms one evening - she said she was done with secret relationships with Gryffindors. Harry leant me his invisibility cloak so I wasn't discovered but if I occasionally was seen with them, no one seemed to care. Not like it would have been if I'd been seen with Fred.

Harry was naturally talented but he worked unbelievably hard in that last month and it was brilliant. By the time the final task came around I was equal parts scared and excited because I'd started to believe he really could do this. 

"Okay," I whispered to him, having sneaked into the victors tent. "You can do this. One more task, then it's over."

He nodded, swallowing.

"You're going in first, so you've got a good chance, follow your wand - you can do this."

Harry didn't speak, but his eyes were firm on mine. He was scared, maybe even a little excited. 

"You can do this."

I pulled him into a rough hug. His arms fastened around my middle and his face buried itself in my shoulder. I tried to pour all of my love and belief into him.

I sat with the Slytherins who were all cheering for Cedric. I kept my eyes on Harry, who met my gaze quickly and gave a small smile. 

Three trumpet later and the champions were in the maze. We were plunged into an eery silence for the first minute or so, where no one dared to speak. But after a while people started chatting amongst themselves. After a short while it was announced that Fleur was out of the competition, found unconscious. Beauxbaton accepted defeat gracefully.