The Fight in Hogsmeade

~Zephyra~

Two days later and I had finally recovered from my encounter with Fred. It had taken a very long, hot shower before his strong, boyish smell of firework smoke and cinnamon wasn't clogging my senses. The worst thing? I didn't even think that was his cologne, just how he smelled naturally. 

In other news, I had overheard Lee saying that their dorm was still completely green, which made me happy.

Neither of us had pulled a prank for the last couple of days, all being too busy watching the first trial of the Triwizard Tournament.

Snow was falling lightly in Hogsmeade but not settling, making it look quite dismal. I strode off with Cecilia and Iphy towards the Three Broomsticks, where I sat in complete silence as I listened to them talk about something I had absolutely no interest in. After an hour, I began to feel restless, so decided I should go on a walk.

I trounced off alone towards the Shrieking Shack, wrapped up tightly to stop the onslaught of wind. It was nice, not quite as stifling as the pub had been. I caught sight of Fred and George as I walked, both donning their horrible Glitherin scarves, which made me chuckle.

Sometimes, when I was on my own like this I wondered what it might be like if I wasn't a Malfoy. I was smart, I had interesting opinions on things like Quidditch and music, I loved my family, my brother and mother especially, but still... I was isolated. No one could show their love. Malfoys were never allowed to be seen as vulnerable, so friends? Well, we didn't have them. For Draco and me, it was just about finding acceptable company; anyone who wasn't pureblood or Slytherin was out.

It was okay though. I hated being vulnerable anyway, more than anything, so what did it matter if I didn't have anyone - loneliness is just another word for boredom, that's what father says.

I stopped when I heard the loud voice of my brother, penetrating above the high whistle of the air.

"It was only dumb luck Harry didn't die - it's probably for the best, draw it out even longer," Draco's voice rang out.

"Shut your face, Malfoy," someone responded. For a second I thought it could be one of the twins, the voice having a similar tone, but I quickly realised it was their brother, Ron.

I began to walk towards them, something coming back to me from a while back in third year. I'd been out walking alone when two fifth year Gryffindor boys had decided to pick a fight - I think they didn't like my family or something... it was hard to remember. But just as they had raised their wands this little red headed kid ran out - tiny, since he was only a first year. He'd told them to back off and that he would tell on them to his brother Percy, who was a prefect. And, to my great surprise, they ran off. I had been so shocked I'd never even said thank you, and the boy hadn't waited around. I couldn't believe the bravery of this eleven year old to stand up to the older boys. 

I was perhaps one of the only Slytherins who didn't mind losing the house cup at the last minute to Gryffindor that year because I knew it was because of him. Ron was a good kid, I had decided - very different to his useless brothers.

I finally saw them. It was Draco, Crabbe and Goyle, wands drawn, standing opposite Harry, Ron and Hermione. 

They were all shouting at each other. Neither side wanting to be the first to say a spell and start the actual fight. But I doubted that would last for long. I strode right in between the shouting boys and glared at them. Immediately, everyone was quiet. I turned to my brother.

"Dray, put your wand down. Remember your manners." I said calmly. Draco looked at me angrily, tightening his grip on his wand. I walked towards him then and pushed him away from the others slightly. He struggled for a moment before letting me lead him away by the collar.