The Hospital Wing

~Fred~

I woke up on Boxing Day late, it was almost one in the afternoon when I managed to drag myself out of bed. My dress from the night before was discarded on the floor, crinkled and looking thoroughly danced in. I picked it up, carefully smoothing out the wrinkles as I lay it on the bed. 

I had little urgency, since it was the Christmas holidays, so leisurely went about my morning routine. The only thing I had to do was start packing, as we would be going back to the Burrow for New Years tomorrow.

When I finally made it to the common room I saw George and went to sit next to him.

"Morning," I said, collapsing onto the sofa next to him.

"It's afternoon, you twit," he said smiling. 

A set of gobstones were on the floor next to him as he'd clearly been playing with someone before I'd arrived. I picked up some of the stones, and we began to play.

"So how was it with Angelina yesterday? Any news?" I inquired, wiggling my eyebrows suggestively. George turned a little red and coughed.

"I uh, asked her out on a date and she said yes." 

I smiled wide and hit his shoulder playfully. I knew he'd fancied Angelina for months now and it was nice to see him finally do something properly with it.

"Where?"

"I asked if we could go on the first Hogsmeade trip together in January."

"That's great, mate! - Hey that rhymed," I laughed.

He rolled his eyes at me. I knew that he didn't like to joke quite as much when something was meaningful, and I was happy for him.

"Okay," he said, looking at me and smirking slightly, "what about your date. Did you and Miss Malfoy enjoy yourselves?"

"Yeah, we had a great time. Not quite as much snogging as you but it was fun," I chortled.

"It was fun?" He repeated, eyeing me. "Not too long ago you thought she was the devil, but whenever I looked up you seemed... cozy..."

I coughed, fighting the urge to smile at the memories of the day before.

"I think we may have misjudged Zephy," I said quietly, shrugging.

"Misjudged?" 

"Yes misjudged. You don't need to repeat everything I say," I snapped. George just laughed and let a knowing smile settle on his face.

"I think we're quite similar to her, actually. She's fun. I just think the way she goes about doing fun things is more calculated - less obvious. Except for yesterday when she finally just said fuck it."

There was a pause where George just looked at me. 

Then he echoed, "fun?"

I was about to yell for him to stop repeating what I said but he realised what he'd done and threw his arms up in surrender. We sat in silence for a while, fiddling with the gobstones set.

"You don't like her, do you?" He said eventually, glancing at me through his brows.

"What?" I scoffed. "Of course I don't like Zephy, I just don't think she's the enemy any more. She's not like her father... or Draco."

"Okay. Just checking." He replied, but he still held my gaze a little incredulously. 

Just then a little third year came into the room, he hurried over to his friends and they started whispering furiously to one another. Their eyes widened as they heard what the boy had to say and they turned away, whispering to those around them, who gained similar expressions.