Blame.

~Zephyra~

I knocked on the door quietly and heard a gruff noise from the other side. Sirius was lying on top of his bed reading a book by the light of his bedside lamp. He looked up and patted the spot next to him, making me smile. I climbed onto the bed, settling myself at his side.

"I've come for a gossip," I said with a grin.

"Oh right," he replied, placing his bookmark in his book and placing it on his bedside table, "I'd better put this down and listen then."

I hummed in conformation, leaning in as he draped his arm over my shoulder. 

"Is this about the boy I left you with in your room?" He said conspiratorially.

"Are you saying boy because you can't tell which twin it was?" I laughed. 

He gasped, "no! I would never, I know for a fact it was FFFF-GGGG" 

"Fred."

"FFFredThat's what I was going to say."

"Sure. But yes, it is," I said, "we used to be together for a bit, but I broke up with him."

"Ahh, and was this another stupid idea on your part?"

"Oi, no! I had to. I didn't have a choice."

"Everything is a choice," he said, quietly, "everything we do. James said that to me once."

I looked at him, he was looking straight ahead, the light of the lamp lighting up the edges of his face in a silhouette. 

"What had you done?" 

"Made a stupid decision. Maybe it runs in the family." He gave a hollow laugh. "No. You only put yourself in danger, I put others in danger." He paused, breathing quietly for so long I thought he might not continue, until he said, "I told Snape how to get in to the whomping willow on a full moon. Remus was kept at the other end of the tunnel on that night."

"Because he was a werewolf," I knew, "I think it was my father who got him fired."

"Yes, well, if James hadn't saved him he'd be dead. The ministry would have found out about Remus and he would have been put in Askaban for life."

"Fuck," I whispered, eyes wide, "Why'd you do it?" 

"I was reckless. Snape antagonised me, said stuff about how I'd abandoned my brother and I don't know... I just wanted him to hurt. Didn't think about the consequences."

"Thank Merlin James found him." He nodded in agreement.

"Moony forgave me eventually."

"Moony?" I asked.

"Remus. He didn't talk to me for a while."

"What changed his mind?"

"Nothing. Just - time. He said that I'd been beating myself up more than any punishment he could have come up with. I didn't think I deserved to be forgiven."

"I don't deserve to be with Fred."

Sirius shrugged, "maybe that's true. Maybe it isn't. But he's the one who has to decide that. Not you."

"He could be happier with someone else. Someone loyal, not some snake who left after the first sign of trouble."

"Remus used to say I would be happier with someone who wasn't a werewolf. But I was always happier with him around then when he was gone." 

My eyes widened. "You and Professor Lupin?"

He actually blushed. "Yeah. But that was a long time ago now." I watched as he seemed lost in thought for a moment. "But the point was," he continued, "that both of us thought the other would be better with someone else, while individually we thought the other was incredible. You can't tell people how to view you, they just do it. And if Fred thinks the light shines from your arse then he'll keep on believing it no matter what you say to the contrary."