The Department of Mysteries

~Zephyra~

I sprung to action the moment I felt the ropes loosen. I jumped towards Umbridge, unsure of what my intention was other than to reach her. She spun, her wand pointed at me as I moved closer. Dozens of hands reached for me and I jumped transforming into my animagus form and reaching out with my talons. 

Umbridge shouted as I scratch at her, but we were too entwined for someone to try and fire a spell at us. I clawed into her, in any place I could reach. 

She screamed again and I smelt blood beneath me. It was strong, like an old penny and clogged my senses for a second. The second was enough for Umbridge. She grabbed me, yanking me off her in a vice like grip that had me worrying my bones might break beneath her grasp. 

I scrambled, fighting for my release but my wings were trapped beneath me and the hold was immovable. Squawks and squalls forced their way out of my throat, deafening myself. My eyes latched onto her face, a large scratch running diagonally across it, a dribble of blood falling from it. The scratch did nothing to conceal the unadulterated fury on her face. 

With her free hand Umbridge withdrew her wand. 

"Stop!" Yelled Harry and her wand hand hesitated. 

"Not unless you tell me the truth, Potter," she said, her wand jabbing into my neck. I'd stopped moving by this point - deadly still as though if I moved I'd hurt more. 

Harry paused. 

"The cruiciatus  curse might loosen your tongue," she said, pressing the wand harder into me. 

"That's illegal!" Said Hermione. 

"What Cornelius doesn't know won't hurt him."

I watched Umbridge's round face - her hair was unkempt from my attack, a feather sticking out of the back. Her face turned towards me and I wondered if I could turn back into my human form or if that would crush my ribs and lungs in her hand. 

Her lips began to form the word and I braced myself for the pain. 

"Wait!" Hermione interrupted. "We were trying to contact Dumbledore!" 

Umbridge faced her, a disbelieving expression on her face.

"Where is he?" She said, lowly. 

"W-we weren't sure. We tried the Hog's Head and the Leaky Cauldron looking for him," Hermione said, nervously. 

Umbridge laughed, evilly. "Silly girl. You expect me to believe that."

She lifted her wand back to me. 

"We wanted to tell him that the - the weapon is ready," Hermione stuttered. 

"Weapon?" 

Umbridge adjusts her grip and I suddenly feel woozy as pain stabbed through me.

"Dumbledore's secret weapon," Hermione continued, confidence growing as she spoke. 

"What is it?" Umbridge said, a triumphant smile on her face.

"We can show you," Hermione said. 

Umbridge let go of me and I fell to the floor, unable to force my wings to unfold in time. 

"Let go of them," Umbridge said to the boys holding Harry, Ron and Hermione. "Lead the way."

The four of them moved towards the door. 

"Keep the rest here, I'll need to punish them when I get back," Umbridge said to the remaining Inquisitorial Squad members. 

I flapped a wing against the floor a minute after the door closed, pushing me upright, and then I transformed. I reached for a wand lying only on the floor by me and snatched it up.