Chapter 1: One Step at a Time

Rays of early morning sunshine seeped through the windows of a modest family home. The house was peaceful with only the sound of people deep in slumber echoing within its walls. While outside, light raindrops fell on the leaves of a nearby pine forest. The trees were many, each standing erect like a soldier in an army of sentinels guarding the vicinity of the house. If it weren't for the faint sound of happily chirping birds, the baring of the forest would have been rather eerie. Perhaps it would've been a little too calm, perhaps a little too quiet, or perhaps a little too still.

In a room of this house, a boy was awoken by the brightness that penetrated past the canopy of the forest, and deep into his curtainless window. His somewhat tired eyes flattered open, a thick row of brown eyelashes following the motion in turn. Taking a lazy glance at his bedside clock, it displayed 5:59am. Yet, he felt that all remnants of sleep had already left his body. Despite knowing that he was unable to fall back asleep, he remained laying still in his bed, observing the unfamiliar ceiling of his new room.

The boy was named Tully. He and his family; his mum, Joanna and two twin older brothers Julian and Claude moved from London, to a place his older brother Julian referred to as "the beginning of the end of his social life". As of yesterday the family had arrived in a small town located about a six hour drive from London. The family had arrived exhausted and deep into the night as their car had broken down on their way there. Upon their arrival, they had ordered late night take out, eaten, then proceeded to pass out in their respective bedrooms.

Seeing as he was already awake, Tully decided to use this time to detail his thoughts in his journal. This was a habit he had developed a few months ago and had religiously adhered to ever since. Reaching out from his bed he grabbed his trusty backpack and pulled out an old looking journal, opened a clean page, and began by writing the date followed by three things he was grateful for. He then briefly summarised his feelings about moving to this town, attending sixth form, and some other things he thought were noteworthy.

After finishing his journal entry, he got out of bed and walked to his window. This was his first time seeing the surroundings of his new home as by the time they had arrived yesterday it was already pitch black outside.

For a moment he was stunned still. The breathtaking view of what seemed like an endless tapestry of luscious greens and browns stretching out as far as his eye could see left him in a trance of awe. For him, this view was unlike anything he had seen before, at least not outside the screen of a TV. Being a true cityboy, Tully's encounters with nature were practically nonexistent, and he had never had the opportunity to experience nature at such a grand scale and on such an intimate level. As the sun rays broke past the thick canopy of pine trees and landed on the moss covered forest floor, a hazy mist arose from the surface creating a scene so magical that he could only compare it to the setting of a studio Ghibli film he once saw when he was little.

Before realising it, his 7:00am alarm sounded, it seems that he had stared dazedly into the forest for nearly an hour. Tully was jolted awake from his trance by the sound and after coming back to himself, he proceeded to get ready for sixth form.

Though the family had only arrived yesterday, the boys' mum, Joanna, was adamant that they were to attend school immediately. The family had encountered some issues which delayed their move from London by a few weeks. This meant that Tully also missed the first few weeks of sixth form, and Joanna was worried about him not being able to properly settle in.

Today was also the beginning of fresher's week at his brothers' university. Tully's 19 year old brothers Julian and Claude were attending a prestigious university located about half an hour away at a nearby city. This is also where Joanna would start her job as a Psychology professor.