Chapter 27: My Heart Beats For Him

10:30 pm - The DeMooor's Family Home.

A cold November breeze squeezed through a small opening left on Tully's window. The breeze blew the thick floor length blackout curtains raffling them ever so slightly that it was almost indiscernible.

The room was nearly pitch black with the exception of the dim light of a bluish hue emitting from the screen of Tully's phone. As the boy replied to an endless stream of messages coming from a group chat aptly named 'The Lunatics' which Ander had recently pulled him into, every so often his eyes would move from the phone screen and towards the direction of the window.

After a while, as though having grown impatient, Tully got off his bed and began creeping with utmost stealth towards the window, halting everytime the weight of his feet would strain the wooden floors underneath the carpet to grunt in protest. As it happened, his bedroom was not only directly above the master bedroom but it was also sandwiched between Julian and Claude's room on either side. This inadvertently increased the difficulty of the current operation.

Today was the third day since Tully was grounded. "No going out after school for two weeks, I want lights out by 8pm, and I'm freezing all your bank accounts until further notice. You are to stay at home and reflect on your behaviour! Are we clear?"  A fuming Joanna had stated conclusively. Tully nodded with the speed and momentum of a hammer pounding into a nail. Never had he been so terrified in all his 17 years of living. His two older brothers, who at normal times would unconditionally come to his defence, used their silence as a form of acquiescence to Joanna's punishment.

As such the current situation had developed. Every evening, for the last three days, a slight opening would be left in Tully's window. Around a certain time a figure would nimbly jump onto the branches of the tree nearest to his bedroom window, scale the wall towards the upper floor skillfully, land onto Tully's window seal soundlessly, widen the crack and proceed to enter the bedroom without as much as a squeak.

Upon reaching the window, Tully exhaled a sigh of relief before quietly sitting on the window seat.  Resting his arm on the window edge and his chin on his forearm, he glanced towards the sky.
Ever since Tully learned about the God the werewolves believed in, he seemed to unwittingly pay more attention to the Moon. According to Kii, the Moon Goddess is the creator and guardian of 'were-kind'. So whenever the moon was out Tully would often find himself sitting in this very spot, peering upwards as though embroiled in a staring contest with the Goddess herself.

But tonight the moon nor Juno were nowhere to be seen. He picked up his phone, texted Juno before viewing the new messages on the groupchat. Once again he locked his phone, plunging the room into darkness as slowly his mind drifted to the time he had spent at the werewolf hospital.

***

TULLY'S POV - Flashback

When I woke up again, the light outside had noticeably dimmed. About an hour and forty five minutes had gone by since I had watched Juno, my friend turned boyfriend transform into a wolf. Not only had I proceeded to play with the wolf, but I also went as far as to embrace it to sleep! It's safe to say that I may have expended the reservoir of audacity allocated to me in this lifetime.

Not long after, Juno came to the hospital room accompanied by a young bespectacled doctor named Dion. Dr Dion got straight to the point and began  explaining the situation to me. "Based on the symptoms you are displaying and test results, I believe you are undergoing something akin to a 'pseudo' estrus.

I nodded blankly then stared at Juno, using my eyes to ask him if Dr Dion was also a werewolf. The corners of the doctor's mouth twitched before he sighed.

"Yes, I am also a werewolf." He stated plainly.

I gasped, eyeing him dumbly. Can werewolves read minds too???