Chapter 11: To Each Their Own Resolve

The day of the 18th birthday celebration of Juno and Kaleo as well as their official inauguration into their positions as Alpha and Beta of the Moon Bridge Pack had finally arrived.

However, unlike what Kii had imagined, thus far the events of the ceremony have been calm and amicable. She had exerted days and nights in anxiety and worry because of this very moment and yet nothing even moderately out of the norm had occured.

And yet despite this, Kii simply could not ignore the nagging feeling in her heart. Juno and Kal were too calm, and this sense of calmness caused her to feel an uncomfortable chilliness that shrouded her whole body. You see, werewolves were inherently possessive beings, more so when it comes to the matters concerning their mates. However primitive this fact was, it was simply in their nature to want to possess what they deemed to be theirs. Yet these two boys, looked unbothered as they each reaffirmed their resolve by swearing an oath to protect the Pack and all its members with their lives and help each other in doing so as the Alpha and Beta of the pack. Along with them, several dozen other pack members of varying statuses were also receiving their official positions today.

As the ceremony continued, the atmosphere only served to further make Kii feel fearful than if the boys were to just verbally argue or even physically fight. Then again, when she racked her brain, she realised that there had never been an occasion where the three of them had argued. Though minor disagreements were inevitable between them, but they always talked it out and if they all couldn't agree then they simply chose to agree to disagree, respect each other's opinions and move on with their lives. That was how important this friendship was to the three of them. At least that's how it used to be. The fact that Juno and Kal have been avoiding each other like the plague and have allowed the situation to fester to this point, felt as though they had reached a point of no return.

To others, this level of incongruity may seem to be a trivial argument between close friends, something they would eventually get over in a matter of days before going back to being their usual selves. But to the three individuals in this friendship it signified the first wall that they could not climb over. This feeling, no, this fact was more so clear to Juno and Kaleo. They both understood that no matter how high this wall was, it was still fragile and weak, therefore, if they talked about the issue at hand, they could exploit the weaknesses found within the wall and break it down. But talking was difficult. It really was. It was especially hard to find the right words to say. Afterall, what words would you use to break the heart of your most beloved best friend? What would you say as you ask of them to give up their one and only chance of happiness so that you could pursue that very same happiness yourself? What expression would you make as you ask them of this? And so, just like that in a matter of days the weaknesses in the previously fragile wall were no more and in its stead was a much thicker, much stronger and steadier wall that could no longer be broken by neither Kaleo nor Juno.

The ceremony ended successfully and the new Alpha, Beta and other authority figures proceeded to greet the guests from other Packs who had come to witness the ceremony. The guests who were oblivious to the fact that Juno and Kal had already found their mate excitedly invited them to visit their Packs. They did so in the hopes that one of their pack members would turn out to be the mates of the new Alpha and Beta and in doing so forming a stronger alliance with the great Moon Bridge Pack.

By the time the sun had begun to set, many guests had already left and once again the usual silence and peace was restored within the forest that surrounded the Pack House. Seeing as only a few pack members were left and the Elders had already retired to their sleeping quarters, the newly appointed Alpha quietly excused himself from the vestiges of the remaining celebration and was promptly followed by his Beta in doing so.

In unison and as though in prior agreement, the two boys transformed into their wolf forms and headed towards the forest. Kii who had been religiously observing them wanted to follow their quickly disappearing figures, but in a moment of hesitation, she was dragged away by her mum who insisted that she had to spend some quality time with her older sister as she would be travelling back to London in the early dawn of tomorrow.

The two boys in their wolf forms glided gracefully across the damp forest floor, avoiding obstacles with a practiced ease. They looked like a pair of dazzling shadows dancing amidst a cold autumn breeze illuminated by a glistening silver moon. The moon, in all her beauty, was partched majestically within an endless cloudless sky emitting a gentle but aloof glow. Around her was a sea of stars twinkling as though singing in delight about the beauty of the glow she emitted.

However, no matter how beautiful this scene was, how much they tried to outrun the trailing gaze of the Moon that hung above them, one thing still remained certain and that was the fact that they could no longer escape the reality of their situation. Let alone undo the events that would later on unfold in this very forest.

As they approached a small clearing, they both proceeded to transform back into their human forms and retrieve some articles of clothing hidden underneath a rock before dressing. Two boys who never lacked words to say to one another sat across each other in silence. After what seemed like an eternity Kaleo finally broke the silence.

"Tully is my mate" he stated in a quiet yet unwavering tone while gazing at the moon. The longer he stared at it's glowing circular surface the more he could imagine a cold derisive gaze staring down back at him. In his heart he sincerely felt as though the Moon Goddess was playing a cruel game with him solely for her entertainment.

Kaleo wasn't sure when the Moon Goddess he had once wholeheartedly revered, prayed to with sincerity had become a figure that incited his hate. He was thankful for her grace in finding him a mate, only for this very gratitude to be thrown back at him when he found out that he was not the only person granted the blessing of being with his mate. Many nights were dedicated to him praying to the Goddess, begging her to reverse her decision yet his prayers fell on deaf ears. In the end he came to the conclusion that the being he prayed to and believed in was nothing more than a hypocritical one who enjoyed toying with the fates of others.

Juno who was also staring at the moon turned to look at Kal after he spoke. His mouth opened, then closed unable to utter a single syllable. Before he could say what he had been wanting to say for the last few days, Kaleo continued "and I know he is yours too". This time, he spoke while staring directly into Juno's eyes.

According to normal werewolf hierarchy the act of directly looking into an Alpha's eyes would be deemed as a challenge to their authority. However, the two had been friends since birth and such formalities meant nothing to them. Yet, today a part of Juno wanted to break this unspoken rule that was as old as their friendship itself. He simply couldn't bare to receive the gaze directed to him by Kal at this moment. This was because he knew what his friend's eyes were conveying to him, as ultimately this unmistakable gaze filled with certainty and resolve was Kal's way of telling him that he was not going to back down.

Juno let out a small sigh. It was really stupid and juvenile of him to think that he could talk Kal out of being mates with Tully. Afterall, what was a mate bond to a werewolf? Was it simply something that could be broken or undone with a mere few words? No. It was something that went beyond 'love' at least in the sense of the word according to human definition. It was a connection that could form only once in a werewolf's life and last for their entire lifetime. A mate bond exceeds that which we have come to call love as once a werewolf experiences it, its fulfillment and adherence to it becomes their reason to exist in this world. It is truly a beautiful yet pathetically ugly slavery of the heart that once felt defies all logic and sanity.

Juno inhaled a breath of fresh air that carried a slight fragrance of something resembling wild roses. He was instantly reminded of Tully's alluring rosy scent that had vanilla undertones. It suddenly dawned on him that ever since he met Tully, he could not remove him from his mind even for a moment. Before he had even realised it himself, every single movement the boy made down to the minute changes in his facial expressions were skillfully recorded into the deepest parts of his heart never to be forgotten. Even at this moment, the thought of Tully was the only thing hardening his resolve. He was certain that if it was for him, he could do anything. Even if that meant...

Slowly he exhaled. Juno's eyes that previously held a hint of uncertainty were now firm with resolve and as though his mouth had perceived his determination, it began to form the words that could no longer be left unspoken.