Chapter 24: Disclosures in Disquietude

"Try not to worry so much, he should be awake in another fifteen minutes or so". Dr Dion glanced helplessly at Juno's index finger as it fell incessantly onto the armrest of the chair.

He injected an aqua blue liquid into the back of Juno's neck. Juno looked down at his harden part which protruded so much it made a tent from within his trousers. He then looked at the unconscious Tully who was lying on the bed beside him, the severity of his condition still unknown. He instantly felt ashamed, disgusted and most of all guilty. How could he be in such a state despite everything.

Dr Dion patted Juno's shoulder in comfort. "It's nothing more than a physical reaction to your mate's pheromones. I am honestly surprised at how well you held it together all this tim- ."

knock, knock.

"Dr Dion, the test results are out" a middle aged nurse entered holding a tablet.

"Thanks, Vanessa." The doctor swept through the content and his brows momentarily furrowed.

"What is it? Is there something wrong with him? Is he going to be okay?"

"Well, contrary to my initial speculations, the echocardiogram and other tests show his heart health is good, infact it's excellent. If I was unaware that he had a heart transplant, I would have never been able to guess otherwise. There is no sign of organ rejection, murmurs, blockages or narrowed arteries. His kidneys and other organs are also fine...". He paused as his index finger scrolled slowly across the screen of the tablet.

"...But that's where things don't add up. When he was brought here, he was tachycardic, then it begun to slow to a bradycardia range until it stopped...2 whole minutes. Tachy-brady syndrome. Not only that, the activity of his aprocrine glands is significantly increased. The secretion of pheromones is 20 times higher than the expected human average. This level is on par with that of an average omega werewolf in heat."

"Dion! For Goddess's sake say it so that I can understand. I'm going to lose my mind with all this anxiety. Is he alright? Is my mate going to be alright?!"

"Yes, he is alright and that's why this is all the more very strange, too strange...it's as if he is...oh my..." Dr Dion gasped then chuckled to himself as though he thought of something exceedingly ridiculous. For a moment he looked delirious. Alpha Juno...wait, wait for me! I need to check something. I'll be back". Dr Dion backed away towards the door before sprinting out as fast as a gust of wind.

Juno was left dumbfounded. He flopped back into his chair. The answer was not definite but he trusted Dr Dion's judgment, he believed for now at least Tully was fine. But until he got the all clear the restlessness in his heart still remained.

He interlaced Tully's hand into his own and placed a gentle grazing kiss at the back of that hand. He rested his head atop their clasped hands and closed his eyes momentarily to the dull lull of the hospital monitors.

He opened his eyes which then roamed towards a clock mounted on the wall opposite the hospital bed. Time had ran out.

"You know..." Juno whispered. "Today, when Ander called to tell me that you were in 'heat', I was naturally shocked and disbelieving. But then when I got here and smelled that alluring scent eminating from you, in a single moment everything seemed to crumble. Suddenly all the grand infallible excuses I had used to convince myself no longer held any substance. You see, those were all just lies. Little lies I made up in order to lessen the fear I have that once you knew what I am, you will fear me and even worse choose to abandon me". Juno laughed quietly at himself.

Today was such a strange day. For the first time in a very long time he had said out loud exactly what was on his mind. It was a foreign yet pleasing sensation.

"So I kept telling myself, if I had more time, then I would have the courage to tell you. But just like that the days became weeks and weeks turned into months. I was drunk on you, Tully. You intoxicated me so thoroughly that I no longer want my senses back." Juno sighed quietly as he lightly rested his forehead on Tully's shoulder.

"But in truth many things that are out of my control are happening. I wanted to solve these things first, make everything perfect so that..when I have the courage to finally tell you..."

Countless thoughts filled his mind like a viscid fluid driving him close to suffocation, these thoughts kept cycling back to the information Alpha Bahha had discussed with him today and gradually a sense of anxiety driven nausea creep up from his stomach. Truths that he didn't dare imagine in his worse nightmares were unfolding before him with each step he took towards the abyss.

He inhaled deeply to quieten this feeling and squeezed Tully's warm hand a little harder into his. Just then, he felt the fingers intertwined in his slightly twitch before a low breathy groan echoed throughout the room.

Author's Note

Hi Everyone! I'm trying to update a couple of chapters at the beginning of every month. I don't want to say that this will be the official update schedule since I don't want to make any promises without certainty that I am able to keep them as life is very chaotic right now.

That aside, Tully is waking up soon! Things on Juno's side are starting to unfold. Kal should be making his come back to Moon Bridge soon. There will be a couple more chapters that tie the first half of the plot together before we reach the first major climax of the story.

I don't want this story to become too long (I'm aiming for 40 - 50 chapters max) so I'm working on setting out the remainder of the story concisely.

As always thank you sticking with me and patiently waiting for updates! I appreciate all the support 💜