Chapter 14: Know When to Go

Kal had left the town of Moon Bridge the day after he met with Tully. He left so promptly that it was as though he was running away.

The time he spent in the forest with Tully felt as though it was just a vivid, bittersweet figment of his imagination. After all, that would not be the first time he had imagined spending his time with Tully. Ever since their first meeting he had imagined countless scenarios of how his life would be with Tully in it. But Kal knew that that day was as real as the pain he felt when he parted ways with Tully after dropping him off at the doorstep of his home.

That night, after he lost to Juno, Kal remained soaking himself in that cold lake for what felt like hours. He reflected on many things and the cold water seemed to offer him a semblance of clarity and it was then he came to the conclusion that he had to leave. He needed to have time by himself, for himself.

* * * *

The Moon Bridge Pack has a large number of highly trained warriors in its ranks. Often, allied packs request for their aid when it comes to matters concerning pack training activities as well as defensive measures against rogue wolves.

The morning after, in a pack meeting, it was brought up that some warriors from the pack will be sent to assist the Lunar Eclipse Pack, an ally of the Moon Bridge who had encountered repeated threats from rogues within their pack territory. Kal knew that this was the opportunity he needed to get away from everything, and without another thought, he went directly to the Elders and requested their approval to leave the pack with the warriors. He, along with ten other warriors would most likely be staying at the Lunar Eclipse Pack for four to six months, as after they have subdued the rogues, they will also be training the pack members in self-defense and other necessary tactics.

Leaving was probably the right choice but that did not make it easy or any less painful than staying. In essence Kal was fighting against everything that dictates his inherent nature as a werewolf. Everything inside him was screaming he must stay close to his mate. He must cherish him, protect him, care for him, yet the little fleeting rationality whispers to him that he must go far and fast.

Staying by Tully's side made him unmeasurably happy and giddy as though he was a young child experiencing a first love. However, he was also aware that by doing so, the connection he experienced through the mate bond would most likely grow stronger and make it harder for him to give up. But what made him hurt the most was despite him trying to deny it, he in fact knew that Tully did not have as strong a bond towards him as he did towards Juno. Tully and Juno had a mutual mate bond, while he bore an unreciprocated bond for Tully. In his heart of hearts he could feel this from the moment Juno and Tully's eyes met in that crowded canteen that fateful day. Yet, like a fool, he still longed to have a chance.

Many nights he reasoned with himself that logically speaking it was highly unlikely to fall for someone at first sight, and whatever he was feeling was just the influence of the supernatural bond. But then so what? All that had happened was irreversible because ultimately, he did fall for Tully at first sight and whether or not this was the influence of the mate bond was something he will never know. But what he does know is that in this life, what he feels for Tully will never be reciprocated accordingly.

And so, he chose to leave. Kal was scared of watching as Tully and Juno's bond continuously grew stronger and he, as the pathetic loser of this game, would have to bear the full brunt and pain resulting from Tully's rejection of the mate bond. To some wolves, this pain is enough to drive them crazy, and he had already experienced a taste of this pain.

The thought of him going mad from pain and succumbing to jealousy was what he was most fearful of. He did not want to become someone controlled by his emotions to the point that he would completely lose himself. This is because although he loves Tully, he also understands that Tully is not entitled to love him back.

* * * *

Kyaaa it's only a super short update today.
I've been lazy af, constantly procrastinating about writing more chapters *sighs*.

Do let me know what you think of the story so far! I initially wanted to make it super angsty especially when it came to Kal's character but I have grown to like him more and more as I write, so now I can't bear to put him through what I intended to.

Also 500 plus reads 0 _ 0! I'm shook, tanks y'all, like seriously.